Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rides/Races near Fairfax, VA (or East WV or N VA)?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Wilkenstein 
#1 ·
I've got a couple of weeks of work in Fairfax from 7/27 until 8/8 so I'll likely have at least one weekend 2nd/3rd of August to fill with riding if I decided to stay over.

I'll happily drive a couple of hours if necessary, I've heard rumours of good riding near Harrisonburg but haven't done any research yet. But if there's a good XC race that weekend I might be persuaded to drive a little further.

Can anyone point me to local bike groups or websites with ride/race info?

Thanks.

#3 ·
check out the cranky monkey series, i am lazy, so i will just tell you what i can remember from memory... the first race is at wakefield park, which is very very close to fairfax, right off the beltway, take the braddock road west exit, make the first right into the park. anyway, race number 1 of the cranky monkey is at wakefield, race number 2 is at fountainhead park i think, also under an hour from fairfax, the third is at quantico marine base. the wakefield event is actually on the 27th, early, so i dont know if that is do-able for you. but the previous post gives a great resource for mtb races in the area.

#5 ·
I've managed to hit Fountainhead every night this week so far.

Monday I managed the loop in 1:06:29, but that was with a quick photo stop and a play on a couple of teeters and skinnies. When I managed to get out again on Tuesday I was planning on going for sub 1 hour. I went hard all the way around, got back to the car, checked the time on the computer, 1:00:03, DAMN!!

So tonight was the showdown, determined to beat the 1hr mark I went for glory.

57:13 :eek: :D

(Times measured from the far side of the lot opposite to the entrance/exit of the trails).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.