Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Notes from my first SS ride

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  dubjay 
#1 ·
I just wanted to share some notes from my first singlespeed ride. Maybe this will convince some others to give it a try.

To give a little background, been riding for about 10 years - primarily full suspension - latest bike being a Specialized Enduro Comp.

Newest bike is a Surly 1x1 acquired via eBay. I put it together using some spare parts I had laying around the garage. Anything I was lacking - I found second hand on eBay. Total cost out of pocket ended up being around $600. It's fully rigid with a Surly fork up front, rolling on 2.4 Mutano Raptors. Gearing sits at 32/18.

- It's faster than I thought. This bike just feels so efficient. It flies on the flats and slight inclines,

- Quiet! No more rattling from the suspension linkage. No more squeaks from the rear derailleur. No more chain rub up front. It is really quite soothing.

- I'm a poor spinner. I guess the full suspension has always masked my spinning deficiency. Gotta work on that...

- I've gotten lazy at picking lines. Guess I've gotten used to just rolling over stuff. No such luck when riding a rigid bike. For now, the technical singletrack climbs are too tough for me not to walk it. I hope that changes with time.

- Makes old trails new again. The singlespeed experience is so much different. It made a trail that I ride 4-5 times a week seem new again.

- A blast on singletrack. The quietness coupled with the nimble handling of a rigid bike can't be beat.

- My body hurts. I guess the years on the full suspension have spoiled me...

In conclusion - it was a load of fun. I don't think I'll be hanging up the Enduro any time soon, because I'm sure there are some trails that are better suited for it.

Oh..and one more thing I learned today....

- Nobody says hello to a guy riding a pink bike...... :(

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
dubjay said:
I just wanted to share some notes from my first singlespeed ride...
Welcome to the SS fold. Glad you like it. I remember back when I first started singlespeeding I just plain hated it (took it up for race training, not fun). But now, after three years or so, I like SS best. Look out -- this is not an uncommon phenomenon. SS has an insidious way of taking over one's brain! At times I feel guilty owning a nice FS geared bike because I hardly ride it. :eek:

Anyway, good on ya.

--Sparty

Late edit: Observation: "insidious" is not the name of a shoe manufacturer.

#5 ·
nice post

Excellent commentary on taking the leap into single speeding. I owned several bikes and I always enjoy riding the single speed over others. Thanks for sharing and a great post.

I'm going to add it to my "Why single speed collection."

http://www.trianglemtb.com/pages/passion/whySS.html

#7 ·
Couldn't help but notice that you're from Irvine.....you'll have to come out and ride with the SoCal crew sometime. Tuesday nights, 6 pm, cook corner. Predominantly SS ride, nice fast pace, followed by food.

Hope to see you out there, I haven't seen any pink Surlys in OC yet.

Brian

#8 ·
Awesome ride ! I built up a black 1x1 last week so I can relate.

And nice summary. The 1x1 allows for decent speeds downhill too once you're used to absorbing shocks with your arms.

Two things:
- you can lose the lizard skins, as you may know by now
- I would flip the skewer around, just so you don't scrape your fingers on the tuggnut

As for trail etiquette, I always greet other trail users, but it's true, some of them don't respond.

Maurice

#10 ·
Awesome looking bike!
I know you didn't ask, but... The spinning can be easily improved by sliding the seat a bit forward. I've recently been intriqued by how mmany people ride their seat slides all the way back, preferably on a setback seatpost. Like the slackest seat position possible for some reason is the ideal one.
With your weight a bit more over the pedals, you'll more easily retain high cadances. And the low-cadence stuff you'll be out of the seat anyway, right? Works for me at least.

#11 ·
Cloxxki said:
Awesome looking bike!
I know you didn't ask, but... The spinning can be easily improved by sliding the seat a bit forward. I've recently been intriqued by how mmany people ride their seat slides all the way back, preferably on a setback seatpost. Like the slackest seat position possible for some reason is the ideal one.
With your weight a bit more over the pedals, you'll more easily retain high cadances. And the low-cadence stuff you'll be out of the seat anyway, right? Works for me at least.
Thanks for the tip! I never thought about that. I've give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Maintaining a high cadence isn't that bad for me - it's maintaining a high smooth cadence that is the problem. The ill-effects of a poor spin seem to be amplified on a rigid bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.