Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

White Sulphur Springs, WV

970 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BrigRat 
#1 ·
I'll be in White Sulphur Springs, WV at the end of July.
Can anybody give me some trails to hit around that area? (60 mile radius)
Since the Greenbriar Hotel $$$ is in that town, all I see is guided tours..which is cool, but I want to ride some hardcore trails.
Any help (directions) would be appriciated.

#2 · (Edited)
Very close and OK trails: Greenbrier State Forest
About 30 miles north, better, but only about 13 miles worth of singletrack: Rimel area
The real deal, but about 60 miles: Slatyfork.

Go to Slatyfork. It's about 1:15 drive time each way, but it may be the finest example of WV technical riding.

Another option: Douthat State Park in VA. About 55 miles, not so technical but big climbs and super sweet descents. If you've never been to Slatyfork or Douthat, you can't go wrong with either. Two different flavors, but both are delicious.

#3 ·
Brig Rat,
If you are planning on riding alone, I would ride at Douthat. With the popularity of Douthat you may find some one to ride with. Trails are well maintained and well marked. You could spend 2 days here and not ride the same trail twice. Also depending on you skill and endurance level, Slaty Fork area is generally a very technical ride and very slow to dry out following a rain event. Douthat on the other hand has fewer rocks and trails drain very well.

#4 ·
I'd agree that Douthat is safer if riding solo. And an easier drive. Just head west on I-64 29 miles then exit and drive north 4 miles (hey, its a lot closer than I thought) to be in the park. Get a map at the office and pay a couple of bucks for the parking permit. Have fun.

#5 ·
Douthat sounds like a blast. I plan on riding there Saturday the 26th. If anybody wants to ride, PM me and I'll give up the cell number.
My aunt lives about 3 miles from Blue Bend. Any trails there?

I'm coming from the flatlands of eastern NC, about 10 miles from the beach, so you can imagine how stoked I am about riding some hills.

Thanks for the tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.