Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for Fair Hill Pre-Race Riders

921 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  troutboy 
#1 ·
Anyone with knowledge of the Fair Hill race course going out for a pre-race run this week? I live down in Towson and was hoping to get a "exploratory" ride in before this next weekend's race. I am not familiar with the course and would rather not race "blind". I am planning on running the Sport leg.

Thanks - Jeff

#6 ·
Gremlin325 said:
Thanks for the responses - not sure I could keep up with expert pace. Tuesday sounds like a good option. Is anyone going to run anything similar to the course that day?
Jeff,

Tuesday is our monthly club meeting, so the ride will probably be shorter than usual, although we will almost certainly ride some of the race course. Also, weather may be a factor for the Tuesday ride.

Thursday is a faster paced ride, the weather looks better, and is more likely to give you a good preview of the race loop. If the weather is good, I plan on riding the beginner race course (might not be enough time for the sport course). Rides meet at 1715 for on-time departure of 1730. If you're not ready at 1730, you'll likely be left behind.

Look on www.trailspinners.org for ride info and directions.

Also check our yahoo group (link on the main website) in case we do something odd like switch the ride start to a different parking lot to better access the race course.

TS

#7 ·
troutboy said:
Jeff,

Tuesday is our monthly club meeting, so the ride will probably be shorter than usual, although we will almost certainly ride some of the race course. Also, weather may be a factor for the Tuesday ride.

Thursday is a faster paced ride, the weather looks better, and is more likely to give you a good preview of the race loop. If the weather is good, I plan on riding the beginner race course (might not be enough time for the sport course). Rides meet at 1715 for on-time departure of 1730. If you're not ready at 1730, you'll likely be left behind.

Look on www.trailspinners.org for ride info and directions.

Also check our yahoo group (link on the main website) in case we do something odd like switch the ride start to a different parking lot to better access the race course.

TS
Dumb question but I will ask anyway...

What kind of speed do people keep in the beginner loop? I have done that loop (for the most part identically to what is proposed) with an average speed of 9.4 MPH. Will that keep me from finishing last?

#9 ·
FirstStateCamber said:
If you can maintain a 9mph or better average you will not finish last. I am a sport racer and generally place well and average in the 10.5 to 11mph range. Either way as long as you enjoy yourself thats all that matters.
You are 100% right. It has been years (13) and have no idea what I am getting myself into. But it should be fun! :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Vespasianus said:
Dumb question but I will ask anyway...

What kind of speed do people keep in the beginner loop? I have done that loop (for the most part identically to what is proposed) with an average speed of 9.4 MPH. Will that keep me from finishing last?
9.4 MPH would place you fairly well in any beginner category, especially the older age groups; however, is that 9.4 MPH average w/o a break for 16 miles or is that 9.4 MPH for riding time only on a ride that included a few breaks? Big difference.

In any case, as someone already mentioned, the course is long for a beginner race (16 miles +/-, longest in the MASS series by far) so you'll get a good long ride in, is not very technical, is all fun rolling single track, and looks like it will be in great shape (i.e., forecast looks ideal). So...no matter what, I think you'll really enjoy the race.

Really hope you decide to come out.

Tim

#11 ·
troutboy said:
9.4 MPH would place you fairly well in any beginner category, especially the older age groups; however, is that 9.4 MPH average w/o a break for 16 miles or is that 9.4 MPH for riding time only on a ride that included a few breaks? Big difference.

In any case, as someone already mentioned, the course is long for a beginner race (16 miles +/-, longest in the MASS series by far) so you'll get a good long ride in, is not very technical, is all fun rolling single track, and looks like it will be in great shape (i.e., forecast looks ideal). So...no matter what, I think you'll really enjoy the race.

Really hope you decide to come out.

Tim
I am hoping to make it. I grew up in the area and was mountain biking in that park back in the 80s. It has changed a lot over the years but for the better! My wife, god bless her, has decided to go away for the weekend with her girlfriends and I have to get someone to looks after the kids while I ride. :madman: :madman:

That 9.4 mph was straight through, no stops. The course is flowing and there are not really any big hill that would require dropping into the granny gear. Should be really fun.

My big problem is that I am 39 and 195 lbs. Should I start pigging out to try and hit the clydesdale class? ;)

#14 ·
Gremlin325 said:
One more question - what is the closest cross road to the parking lot on Appleton Road? Just want to be there on time.

Thanks -
How about I give you some directions also:

Take I-95 north to the North East/Rising Sun exit (exit 100).
Turn left at the light at the end of the exit ramp onto Route 272.
Follow 272 to the intersection of Routes 272 and 273 at the light.
Turn right onto route 273 toward Newark, DE.
Follow route 272 east past Route 213 and the Fair Hill Inn. You will pass the Fair Grounds and horse show area on the right (this is Fair Hill, but not the correct parking area).
Continue on 273 east under an iron bridge, past Gallaher Road on right, over Big Elk Creek and under another iron bridge. Shortly past the final iron bridge will be a convenience store on your left at a flashing light. This is Appleton Road. Turn left onto Appleton Road and continue for approximately 2 miles until you see yet another iron bridge. Just before the bridge on your left is the North Appleton Road parking lot (may not be labelled as such, but there is a sign there for Fair Hill Parking). If you pass Elbow Lane on the right or cross into Pennsylvania, you've gone too far.

Parking will cost you $4.

I suppose the nearest cross street is Elbow Lane (approximately 1 mile north on Appleton Road).

I drive from work in Edgewood and it take me 50 minutes at/near posted speed limits, including 10 minutes to I-95. I would allow at least 90 minutes from Towson. We leave the lot promptly at 5:30; however, if you run into trouble and miss us, call my cell phone at (302) 2 2 9 - 6 0 3 4 and we can probably arrange a meeting point or return to the lot to pick you up.

Hope to see you there.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.