Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Downhill Beginner.

665 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  project_d 
#1 ·
I've only just discovered this very intimidating discipline with the discovery of a local Downhill course just outside my city. This tides in very well with my purchase of an all mountain bike with some decent travel.

Anyways just wanted to ask a few questions to the experienced.
Firstly: I know my seat should be low, but how low?
Proper Downhill cornering technique? and linking turns quickly?
How should I properly tackle some of the smaller jumps?

Cheers :).

#5 ·
How steep is the hill? How rocky/rutted is it? Etc etc etc. It will also depend on the bike, your skill level and your confidance

Cornering is cornering and technique is dictated by the terain and can very many time through out a single run. Basic, weight on outside pedal, hips pointed in direction of turn, countersteering is your friend, and trust in your tires and ALWAYS LOOK AHEAD, WHERE YOU WANT TO GO AND NOT AT YOUR FRONT TIRE.

Practiuce practice practice and find other riders who can show you.

#6 ·
You will figure it out after a few times out like me. but....

-Your seat should be low enough that you can easily get behind it while going down a hill.

-I stay on both brakes a little w/ a rear bias when its technical or i dont know the trail.

-Stay in an agressive position when going over rough sections or a jump, so you can adjust quickly. Like any sport really.

-Keep your outside foot down when cornering.

...i dont know much, but i hope i was of some help.

#7 ·
Low enough so that it doesn't hit you in the behind or get in your way when you're trying to lean back or bend your knees, but not any lower that that. You still want it up a bit so that you can pedal and take a bread without having to "stretch" your quads.

Way to long of a proper answer than I want to type. However, (1)brake before the turns, not while in them, (2)don't, don't, don't, don't, don't look down at your front tire; look ahead where you want to go (look at the exit of the turn, and (3)when hitting "s" turns, keep your speed in check during the first turn, and this will help you set up better for the 2nd turn (you'll exit faster).

Trial and error on this one. Just make sure you're wearing a helmet, full face is preferable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.