Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cranky Monkey @ Wakefield

3K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  blantonator 
#1 ·
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Signed up for the first Cranky Monkey Race (and my first race period) @ Wakefield 7/27/08. A couple of things:
1. Anyone else signed up and excited as I am?!? :cornut:
2. Decided to do this on a whim. How bad am I gonna get my a$$ handed to me? I've been riding Wakefield just about everyday after work for the past 1.5 months. Not for the race, just b/c it's a blast and happens to be on my way home from work (Supersweet detour!)
3. Is there anything special I need other then the normal riding gear helmet, spare tube, multi-tool, etc?
4. Anyone here with past experience with the CM series that would be willing to shed some light for the greenhorn racer (that's me), would be appreciated.

#2 ·
hoppersailor said:
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Signed up for the first Cranky Monkey Race (and my first race period) @ Wakefield 7/27/08. A couple of things:
1. Anyone else signed up and excited as I am?!? :cornut:
2. Decided to do this on a whim. How bad am I gonna get my a$$ handed to me? I've been riding Wakefield just about everyday after work for the past 1.5 months. Not for the race, just b/c it's a blast and happens to be on my way home from work (Supersweet detour!)
3. Is there anything special I need other then the normal riding gear helmet, spare tube, multi-tool, etc?
4. Anyone here with past experience with the CM series that would be willing to shed some light for the greenhorn racer (that's me), would be appreciated.
I just did my first race last weekend, so i can't offer much advice, but i don't think any advice from an experienced racer is really gonna *help* a first timer anyway. you just have to get out there and do it. you will learn from it, especially if you like it enough to do again. but most importantly.... do it for fun just like you have been doing riding there. Just go as fast as you can :) Go in with the expectation to just finish the race and have fun! Everything else is icing on the cake. Especially since there will no doubt be experienced racers there that will crush the course.

The one important thing i did learn tho, is to be more aggressive in passing. If you ride too long at the pace of the rider in front for whatever reason, you are just giving riders behind you a chance to gain ground on you. If someone is in your way, and you feel like you can pass em, bark out your intention to pass and do it asap. and try to position yourself in the front of the pack at the start, pedal like hell, and like the wonderful group Boston sang, Don't Look Back! damn i just dated myself! :eek:

#3 ·
Thanks for the words of wisdom. My plan is just to have fun and do the best that I can. I don't have any delusions of total victory. I am just looking for a new challenge. I don't really ride with anyone so I've been wondering how I would "measure up" againist other riders. Plus, the mtb scene has always been great to be part of. Thanks again.

#4 ·
hoping to

Well, my plan was to do the wednesday at wakefield races, and the wakefield cranky monkey. however, i managed to get myself a pretty decently sprained ankle about a week ago at work :madmax: , and yesterday i got back on my bike for the first time since then, only to ride some paved trails with my fiance'. long story short, unclipping hurts like a *****, and I'm hoping to be able to get on my bike enough to get into something close to decent enough shape to run at least the cranky monkey. so what WAS excitement for this race, has turned to being hopefull to be able to come out, and have everybody beat me :p . last time i ran a race at wakefield was in 1998, doing a cyclocross series in which i managed to twist an ankle up... ironic, and bruise some ribs. :thumbsup: so, hopefully I'll see you there.

i havent raced an XC in a long time (like 10 years). my only advice is this: dont blow yourself out in the start. its tempting to run as hard as you can and try to keep up with everybody, get a good position right out of the shoot, but if you work yourself too hard you'll end up falling farther back than you would if you know your limits and how to pace yourself for the length of the race. also knowing the trails/course helps a lot, because you know when you can rest or recover or whatever you want to call it, and when you gotta push it, you know where you're strong on the trails and where you might not be so strong. so first time out, just have fun, and dont push yourself too hard in the first part of the race, a strong finish can sometimes be more usefull than a strong start. there was a link posted here somewhere a bit ago to a map of the cranky monkey course, so get a copy of that, and start making your afternoon ride at least a single lap of the course.
also, if you want to get an idea of what its like to run a race before the cranky, check out the wednesdays at wakefield, since its on your way home, running one of those might work out pretty well. the first of the 4 race series was last wednesday, so the remaining 3 are the next 3 consecutive wednesdays, unless they are rained out.
as far as special gear... i never really ran with much else than what you described. make sure you have plenty of water, get plenty of rest the night before, eat well the night before and dont eat too heavy a breakfast. thats about all i can think of.
good luck, and i hope i see you there!:thumbsup: :D

#5 ·
Iridethedirt,
Sorry about the injury. Don't forget Rest, Ice, Compresion, Elevation (RICE). Thanks also for the words of advice. I've actually been running the W@W course the past couple of days since i got the bike out of the shop (the bike lane rules!). What you said about pushing yourself too hard is my problem. I have two speeds: balls out and sucking wind. Still can't find the happy medium between the two. Becoming familar with the course and Wakefield in general has been the most rewarding part of the rides over the past few days. .

#6 ·
My first XC race was the CM Wakefield race three years ago. I remember I did exactly what Iridethedirt said; went out hard the first mile and nearly DNF'd. Settle into a comfortable pace and remember to try and control your breathing. The course starts in the same place as the W@W; at the bottom of the gravel road Then it tuns right at the top and directly into the bowl section (this is different than the W@W). Then it pretty much follows the W@W course... the only bonus is that it will go down the berms too. That course is a fast track and can turn you inside out if you let it... meaning, it's easy to open it up too much and burn your legs out. I think you have the right attitude going in, just don't let the competitive side get the better of you like it did me my first go at it. Have fun with it! It's a great race.

#8 ·
:nono: Totally false statement. They may have been talking about the dirt crit they used to do, but that was because you had a certain amount of time to do as many laps as possible. But pulling people off the course for not completing it in a certain amount of time is not true at all. Just as long as you finish before the next race starts, you will be fine.

#9 ·
W@w

So, i managed to make it back on the bike a lot sooner than expected. the ankle still hurts, unclipping still hurts, and just as my doctor predicted dismounting the bike onto uneven surfaces is VERY painfull. I got out on the trails, and rode at colvin run as often as life would allow before going out for the final (and my first) W@W. I had a blast, placed 35th out of 44 competitors... so better than i expected of myself!! haha. anyway, looks like I'll be at the cranky monkey, if you want to get together for a wakefield ride in the afternoon anytime this week let me know, I should be able to make it though it might be a bit crazy this week. if you're up for it, let me know, i work very close to the park, and get out of work at 3:30 most days, so just hit me up and we can do a couple training laps for the cranky monkey!!! if i dont see you before, we'll have to meet up at the cranky monkey, I always up for meeting new riders/friends. i dont really know many people in the mountain bike scene since I've been away from it for about ten years, so the only people i know are the people who were into it ten years ago and still are. anyway, i ramble, let me know if you want to ride and we'll set something up!
-kevin

#10 ·
How hard is the course at Wakefield? I have never ridden out there, and have never raced, but was considering going out and doing the race? I just want to make sure I can complete the course if I go out there. I ride Fountainhead every other week or so and finish the full loop in a little over an hour; so does that translate into being able to finish the beginner race at Wakefield?

#11 ·
If you ride Fountain Head you will have no problem with Wakefield. The berms are the only tricky part. Watch the third to last one people tend to side out there.

I don't think they have ever pulled riders at the Cranky Monkey. They wouldn't do that. They run the races for fun and it wouldn't be fun to be pulled. I remember lapped riders even in all the short track races they did.

#13 ·
no cranky makes me cranky

from a sprained ankle, to an "irregular heartbeat"... i will not be able to compete in the cranky monkey, doctors orders. i went to the doctor because my heart began racing, and beating very hard for no reason (even while being a couch potato). I have to see a cardiologist but what seems to be the cause was excessive caffine consumtion, stress, dehydration and lack of sleep. i cut back on the caffine (to none) and made sure to get a lot more sleep (pretty easy without the caffine) and drank plenty of water over the past several days. the issue has gotten much better since cutting out the caffine and everything. however, the doctors orders were specifically no mountain biking untill i saw a cardiologist and was given the ok. I'm pretty sure everything is ok, but at the same time, dont want to take any chances. I'm TOTALLY bummed out that i can't make the cranky monkey :mad: :madman: , and i am thinking about coming out to take pictures, and and "spectate" though, it might be a little too much like self imposed torture. so we'll just have to see how i feel about it on sunday morning. to all those who compete, best of luck and i wish i could be racing right along side you.
-kevin

#15 ·
I had a F'N BLAST!!!!! It was much more then I thought. Unfortunately, there's a huge DNF next to my name in the results, but that was a result of a mechanical failure rather then not having enough gas in my legs. And yes, I am aware that the failure is also my fault but I really don't care. I had an awesome time!!! I feel very positive that had my failure not occured, not only would I have finished, but I believe I would have finished with a somewhat respectable time. It was a nice mix of competitive folks and folks just there to test themselves. The thing that really stood out for me though was the way all the riders, despite race level, slowed down to ask any person on the side if they were ok and if they needed anything. It was cool to see that despite being their for competition, folks still made the effort to inquire as to the condition of their fellow man/woman. Overall, I'm hooked!!! Don't know if I'm gonna make the Monkey in FH or Quantico. Either way, this race was just KICK A$$!!!! I hope everyone

#17 ·
Who alls in for the race this upcoming weekend?

I have never entered a race before.
I have only been mountain biking casually since last fall/winter.
I grew up in bmx dirt jumping(no racing)
I am running a 26er SS or might do the 69er setup with it.

Question is they have a single speed class and a beginner, I think i would be better in the beginner class but i dont know if i can enter beginner with SS.....

Stoked on the race though!

#18 ·
I'm registered to run this weekend...beginner @ 35-ish range.

I have riden this course about 3-4 times. If it rains every day this week (as currently predicted), expect some muddy sections. Its a fast course in my opinion. It's much easier than Fountainhead. This hills are not all that steep. Use the many banked turns to your benefit.

Good luck!

#22 ·
Paparazzi in a public park are always allowed!

I rode it today! Did one lap in 30 minutes roughly. First time riding that long without stopping lol. I was following a guy named Carlos that I met. He lead me around the track without breaking a sweat. Watch out for him this weekend.

I did this running 26er rigid single speed 32/16. I felt I need to go a little slower pace so I can manage the 2 or 3 laps. I was just trying to keep up with him since he was showing me the course..... I dont think i coulda held that pace for a second lap.....

I can defintly see the place being soupy if it rains a bunch.

We are doing a group ride Thursday at 630 if anyone wants to meetup in the rec center parking lot area. We can do a practice race or something.

#24 ·
I've tried to follow the race course the past three weeks I've been out there. Most likely I'll be there on Thursday at 6:30 as well. Look for a blue BMX X5 and a dork (me) on a Trek 6700.

Chances are I'm not going to race but I wouldn't mind getting an idea of how I stack up against other beginners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.