Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dowell's Draft

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cb4photo 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me some info on this trail? As in terrain type, best way to ride it, etc. I've heard several people say that its one of the best downhills around so i'm curious to check it out. I rode Lookout Mtn last weekend and at the top of the fire road climb, when coming from the North River campground, it spilts, and from what I can tell from my map if you continue straight that takes you to Hankey Mtn and Dowell's. It doesn't look like there is a good way to loop this trail, at least not without a substantial road ride. So is it best to just shuttle it, because it looks like Dowell's drops you off waaaay out in Western Augusta county. I suppose I could always do the out and back thing, but for some reason whenever I do that I always feel like I'm giving up, as opposed to a loop where I feel like I completed something. Its still riding either way, more of a mental thing I guess. Thanks for the info.

#2 ·
g-bus said:
Can anyone give me some info on this trail? As in terrain type, best way to ride it, etc. I've heard several people say that its one of the best downhills around so i'm curious to check it out. I rode Lookout Mtn last weekend and at the top of the fire road climb, when coming from the North River campground, it spilts, and from what I can tell from my map if you continue straight that takes you to Hankey Mtn and Dowell's. It doesn't look like there is a good way to loop this trail, at least not without a substantial road ride. So is it best to just shuttle it, because it looks like Dowell's drops you off waaaay out in Western Augusta county. I suppose I could always do the out and back thing, but for some reason whenever I do that I always feel like I'm giving up, as opposed to a loop where I feel like I completed something. Its still riding either way, more of a mental thing I guess. Thanks for the info.
You have it correct. No way to loop it without a substantial road ride back. Consider it training for the SM100 :).

PS: The climb up Hankey Mtn is the real deal, not for the faint of heart. You might think when you reach the access road intersection you are doing good, but in reallity you have a long way to go to get to the top, and the beginning of Dowells. Once you get to the top, there will be a couple of down|ups (one pretty loose and rocky) then the amazing descent on Dowells you have heard all about. Be carefull on the water bars towards the bottom, they have claimed more than one victim who hit them too fast (easy to do).

#3 ·
Havent been to Hburg in a while, but I used to go to college there...We used to just ride up dowells and then back down....saves you a lot of fire road and such...you can always check with the boys up at shenandoah bike....they maintain/repair/build all the trails around there and know them better than anyone...definetly hook up with them in the fall if youre in the area for friday six pack rides....and yes, dowells (from what i remember) is an amazing dh....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.