Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Snowshoe/Slatyfork

891 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  davis 
#1 ·
A couple of us from Knoxville are headed to Snowshoe this weekend to check out the trails. I rode Slatyfork many moons ago and don't really recall too much. We are planning to hit the bike park on Friday and cross country Saturday and Sunday. First off, we are both on 5 inch travel cross country bikes, should we rent or are we ok on those. I figure if its much bigger of a drop than that I don't need to be hitting it anyway. Also, what are the can't miss trails of Slatyfork, we would like to get in a 30-50 mile ride on Saturday and wanted to make sure we got in the best of the best.

#2 ·
50 miles in Slatyfork is pretty ambitious. That being said, the can't miss trails are (in no particular order) Red Run, Tea Creek Mt (not to be confused with Tea Creek), Bear Pean Ridge, and Boundary. You'll probably link these with Gauley Mt and Bannock Shoals. Trails that look good on the map and aren't (due to numerous reasons) are North Face, Tea Creek, Frosty Gap, and Kennison Mt.

My advice is start at Tea Creek Campground located off of the Highland Scenic Highway. Pedal up Bannock Shoals. Make a right on Boundary. Take Boundary until it turns into Bear Pen Ridge. Ride Bear Pen to Gauley Mt., then take a right. Ride Gauley for a mile then make a right on Red Run. Ride Red Run to its end then make a left on Right Fork. When you get to the boardwalk, take the next right and climb up to the meadow. Take the meadow out towards the Highland Scenic Highway, then go right and climb up Tea Creek Mt. Pass through the boulder field, then check your brakes and get ready for the best descent in WV. At the bottom of Tea Creek Mt. make a right on William River Trl. and roll back into Tea Creek Campgound. It ain't 50 miles, but if you feel the need for more, turn around and reverse the loop.

#6 ·
As far as the bike park (and I'm not sure if you're including the Western Territory DH trails in that), it depends on the bike. If your 5" is All Mountain like a Heckler, then you'd be okay (not ideal, but okay). If you're talking a true XC bike (light, 2.10 tires, steep head angle), you'll likely find the going pretty sketchy and would have more fun renting a freeride or downhill rig.

#7 ·
If you are wanting to ride XC and not Downhill or Freeride, I wouldn't waist my money at Snowshoe. I'd go ride the Slatyfork / Gauley Mtn. area mentioned by davis. You can also work in Props Run Trail to that list and have a whole bunch of riding. Don't know that I'd want to do it all in one day, however, check out the Gauley EPIC at IMBA. davis knows the directions on it if you are interested. However, keep in mind, 20 miles of those trails will feel like 30 or 40 most other places.

ODN

#8 ·
I'd agree with that. Snowshoe used to have some great XC stuff, but they've systematically destroyed it with Jeep trails and such. Can't compare to Slaty.

On the other hand, the Bike Park and Western Territory are definitely worth checking out for a day of FR/DH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.