Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

the downhillers XC bike......

9K views 102 replies 68 participants last post by  Xaero 
#1 ·
ok well i have an sxt and i am getting a totem and roco wc/tst for it so it will be up to 7in front and back. it used to be my only bike but now ive got some $$$ to play with from my new job. so there is hundreds of miles of singletrack at my disposal so im looking for something that will be just be a trailbike.

i was looking at spec enduro sl but that crosses over too much with my sxt. i want something different. i want something light. 28-32lbs prolly. 120-140mm travel, air sprung, pedals well, but i want a lil bit slacker headtube, i dont really dig the 69. so this is what i have been looking at.

- rocky mountain etsx70. 4-5in F&R. it has a slacker HTangle and i liked the ride. felt more aggressive.

- specialized stumpjumper elite. 120 F&R 69htangle. going to take one for a test tomorrow.

- santacruz blur LT. all ive heard is they are AWSOME!!!! but it sounds like it will be hard to get my lil grimey hands on. and i want one now.

im game for any other good options. what do you guys use if u want to do XC thats not ur dh bike. realistically ill prolly spend 3000-3500. i want a fox32 and RP23 for suspesion unless its that specfox crap that doesnt matter.

so.....opinions, go!

See less See more
#5 ·
the giant reign is a very cool bike, not the reign x which is more freeride the all mountain reign is what i mean, the orange 5 is nice too, intense 6.6, there are loads of bikes in the trail catagory, i actually use my specialized epic as a trail bike but thats definately not for everyone

#6 ·
I am in the position of wanting a light trail bike but strong with good geo. I have decided on a turner 5spot. Strong yet light so I don't need to worry about finding something the bike can't handle. CS is incredible and dave turner regularly goes on these forums which tells heaps about him and the style of company he runs IMO. At a similar price to basically any 5inch travel frame how could you not love it.

#8 ·
I have my 5-spot built up to just under 30lbs and use it semi frequently riding the shore. For sure you could build one of those up for the budget you are talking (especially if you pickup a used frame).

Another bike I would suggest be looked at would be the Knolly Endorphin - if you are frugal you could hit your pricepoint.

If you test a Blur LT and like the feel of VPP then that is not a bad option. Personally I am not a fan but you need to form an opinion of your own.

#9 ·
yeah, im just not sure if i want to wait months for a LT. my LBS is going to tell me tomorrow when they will be avail. hopefully its more like a week or 2 but we will see.

but this bike will be solely a XC/trail bike. i wont be jumping it at all, or anything like that. i want something FAST, ive been riding singletrack with k-rads lately and i really like the lack of traction and how fast they roll. it makes all the trails around here way more fun. but i still want something that feels agressive.

anybody here ride a stumpy at all? btw im ditching the 420s on it for 717s i think. i want my wheels to last. everyone i know that have ridden the 420s have messed them up. they are too light.

#10 ·
SamL3227 said:
im game for any other good options. what do you guys use if u want to do XC thats not ur dh bike. realistically ill prolly spend 3000-3500. i want a fox32 and RP23 for suspesion unless its that specfox crap that doesnt matter.

so.....opinions, go!
I'll throw in a vote for the Giant Trance X. http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/1288/29373/

The 0 model is almost exactly what you describe except for the 69.5 degree head angle. It has the fork and shock you want though. I've pedaled a X2 around that doesn't have the extra adjustments and it's really really nice. I'm thinking of getting it and buying a 454 Pike to put on it to slacken it a tad and raise the BB a little. I'm in the "XC bike for a DH guy" market as well and this bike is impressive... A good friend of mine won our class in the Spring Thaw DH on a regular Trance built with a Pike. :eek:

I also like the new Reign which may be more to your liking with it's slacker geometry. I just like the black Trance X2 better. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
negatory. really the only bikes the 2 lbs's carry in helena is spec/santacruz/trek/giant/rockymountain. so those are the ones that they have on the floor and whatnot. but i guess i could order anything from bti/qbp if i wanted to. but those brands seem to have something close to what i want, i just need to figure out what is more important. xc/uphill <-> am/dh. but im still thinking uphill is more important, i just dont want a wet noodle thats gonna die on me.

#14 ·
yukisan said:
have you looked at a ibis mojo?
Those bikes are tits!
My friend has one that was specially painted Guinness Foam. It looks like something that would be on display in someone's immaculate garage collection than out on the trail.
If you go that route, plan on having $$$$$. They ain't cheap.

OP, you mentioned an RM ETSX. What about an Element? The ETSX is more of a marathon bike, whereas the Element is more of a shorter, faster race bike.

#15 ·
the element has a 71HTangle. and that is totally unacceptable. the etsx goes 4-5in and is quite light and has aggressive geo. i think for me at least its down to that or stumpy elite, or a blur LT if i can get some saddle time on one within the next few weeks. i wouldnt mind waiting if i can try one out. but i want a bike for now. not a month or 2 away.....NOW! ive got an itch that i have to scratch soon.

#17 ·
SamL3227 said:
the element has a 71HTangle. and that is totally unacceptable.
I did not know that. I would have bet money that the ETSX would have had a steeper HT angle than the Element.
The ETSX is still a nice bike though. A friend has one and he loves it.

#18 ·
i started out on an ht. i have friends with ones that i can play on. having a xc/marathon bike will in effect do the same thing. wont be able to just bash through everything, gotta ride smarter.

i am sure that another HT is not in the works for me. but its a valid point, but been there done that. if i was to get an ht, it would be more of a am/fr ht. something i could bash and trash and still pedal around. and that is not what this bike will be for

#20 ·
SamL3227 said:
the ETSX is 68 just like the slayers are. so it is deff more aggressive in that aspect.
I came an ass hair of gettin an '06 Slayer 50 (the Bottlerocket won that choice though). They are sweet ass bikes. They are almost like the Cadillac of A/M bikes. Why not one of those? Too heavy?

#22 ·
i have ridden slayers before, and yes they are very nice. but it still doesnt pedal as good as the etsx and i already have an sxt if i want to tear it up. and im going more xc>am right now.

thats what my buddies at the bike shop have been saying bout the blur LT. so i think i will wait unless i cant get it for a while. i just really need to scratch and i cant hold out for too long.

#24 ·
you could look at '08 HiFi Pro... 5" travel... Fox 32 F120 RLC / RP23... about $2900

my '08 HiFi Deluxe (small) weighs about 26.5lbs (stock)... the Pro might weigh a bit less even.

great XC/trail/light AM bike

69.7 HA, but with GF's G2 geometry it might not behave like you expect - test ride one to see

cheers

#25 ·
I think this is a pretty killer topic. I'm in the exact same boat in wanting to build up a xc bike but still have it pretty aggressive. I think the direction of going towards the Reign and Blur is damn good. I problem for me is being used the 40 and all that travel and then jumping onto a trail bike and not feeling the plushness. I havent test rode a Blur yet but I'm sure you have read and heard all the great news about it. I have ridden a Reign and that thing was sick. And there is still plenty of travel on that thing to keep that DH mental side of me amped. I could be wrong but I think both the blur and reign have the same head tube angle. Dont quote me on that. But I did like the way the reign felt due to it being some what light, having plenty of travel and also racked out a tad. Thats just my two cents but like I said, I dig this thread because I think alot of us want a killer trail bike but still have it some what aggressive.

Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.