Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What can a Fox Float R or RP23 handle??

864 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  aenema 
#1 ·
Give me your two cents. I have a Canfield Balance that I used for long rides in AM/XC terrain and looking to shed some weight for those long rides. I know I can't go full FR with big repetitive drop/jumps with this shock but have friends with 575's with this shock that ride AM all the time. The bike presently has a DHX 5.0 Coil on it now, a Float could shed a quick 1.5 lbs for sure. What does everyone think? I use a Yeti AS-X for DH and bigger stuff.:cool: :thumbsup:

#3 ·
I've been wondering about switching my DHX Air to a Float on my 6" Enduro. I use it for a Super D bike / XC and think the DHX might be more than I need.

Anyway, good question, I'm on the fence for my switch.

#5 ·
I would be worried about leverage progression

I also own a Balance and the frame is very progressive (easier to move travel at beginning of stroke than end) which is a natural tendency of air shocks with the fact that you can only compress the air so much. I would be concerned that putting the two together would make it really, really hard to get those last two inches of travel.
One option would be to get it push'd. There are different canister volumes for the rp air shocks so maybe having it tweaked could give you performance you desire. If it were me, I would call somebody like Push and explain this to them and get their feedback. Not many more knowledgeable then them on this subject.

Have you already shed weight on your wheel/tire combo? A shock weight reduction, although sounding like a lot, won't make you much faster on climbs. Look at wheel/tire first, get that rotational weight down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.