Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyway to guess th size of a frame for my wife?

831 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dogonfr 
#1 ·
My wife's birthday is next week and I was thinking about getting her a bike. I would like it to be a supprise but I'm not sure what size frame will be best.
She is 5'1 and I was hoping to get something that fits without having to take her to my LBS. I know they will let me return it if I had to but I would like to avoid that if possible.

#4 ·
I think taking her to the shop is your best bet, too, unless you're familiar with the basics of frame sizing & geometry and have her height, reach, inseam, and various other measurements to plug in to an online bike fit calculator. Even then, without having experience with her on another known bike to use as a basis, it's a bit of a crap shoot.

#7 ·
dogonfr said:
14.5 or 15 should be really close at 5'1" can be a hard size to find in stock sometimes. What type of riding & bike are you looking at? :thumbsup:
For now I would be happy for her to do some bike trails and light paths, I ted to be a little more hardcore but I want her to be comfortable and get back into riding shape before we venture too far off road.

#8 ·
NoVA_JB said:
For now I would be happy for her to do some bike trails and light paths, I ted to be a little more hardcore but I want her to be comfortable and get back into riding shape before we venture too far off road.
Awesome I hope she sticks with it, some times a group ride helps out especially if you can find people that are willing to work with both of you to make the ride more enjoyable for her. I find talking with new riders letting them know it's all good just riding as a group they settle down & really get rippin, yes it takes time & patients but the pay off in the long run is worth it. If you can find a 14.5 that would possibly be a comfortable size for her giving her confidence with the stand over. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.