Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

building a commuter/trail bike

817 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  InvictaS1 
#1 ·
This summer I'm planning on building a relatively cheap <$800 build for a hardtail bike.
I will be living in Santa Cruz for the next 2 years and want to have an additional bike to my Kona Dawg (ive considered a pos bmx cruiser, alot cheaper) but i feel a street commuter trail bike that is built to my liking would be much nicer, considering I'll have the money

Heres some specs (any advice on losing weight/better components for the $):
Frame: $100 Marin AXC

Wheelset: $170 Forte Locos

Tires: $20x2 Contiental Flows (something good for street and trail use? dont want 2 sets of tires)

Fork: $220 Manitou Nixon 145mm

Brakes: $60 x 2 Avid BB7s

Pedals: $10 Wellgo Platforms

Saddle: $20 Coalition Seat

Seatpost: $15 Alloy Micro Adjust

Rear Der: $25 Saint RD M-800

Cranks: *** need help, looking for single speed crankset, with guard?
considering $125 Truvativ Stylo SS

HandleBar: $25 Azonic Strip Riser

Stem: $20 Truvativ Huss

Grips: $20 Azonic Lock-ons/Oury Lock-ons

this current build is around 850-900.
I am looking to cut it to around $700. anyone have suggestions?
still not sure on headset, cranks, or brakes.
I will also be trying to get most of my parts used or off craigslist to cut cost.
going to be building this bike paycheck to paycheck

See less See more
#2 ·
check out the mtbr, ridemonkey, and pinkbike classifieds as well as ebay.

why go with a 145mm fork on a hardtail? i would just go with a rigid fork if you want to save $$, or go with a xc fork. maybe go with v-brakes instead of discs, v-brakes will probably be fine for most riding conditions, you'll save a good bit of weight and money by using v-brakes.

check ebay for selle italia ponza saddles, they are cheap, light (230 grams), and actually pretty comfortable. they can be had for about $20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.