Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Totem air setup

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  captain spaulding 
#1 ·
Hey Yall,
Just wondering how other are setting up their Totem solo-air's since I am running 46psi & getting very little SAG (10mm). I am also running no high speed compression, 2 clicks of low speed comp, & floodgate backed off completely.

Thanks in advance,
Dre

#2 ·
I've found that if I run even the low-end of the recommended pressure for my weight, that it's still too stiff.

I was talking to my buddy who has a Solo-Air also (me with a 7point and him with a Demo7), and we both agreed that running 5-10psi less than what is recommended, the fork is much more plush and must more compliant on small-bump absorption.

Although, if you're doing a lot of climbing, run the recommended pressure and then readjust when you're ready to descend. Bring a shock-pump. I've found that that totally helps.

#3 ·
Yep, run lower pressures than recommended. The fork gets extremely progressive in the last 30mm of travel to prevent bottomout.

Regarding climbing, you don't need to change your air pressure at all, that's why this fork has a floodgate. Popping up the knob will create a platform. If you want less initial resistance, reduce the floodgate with a 2.5mm allen. If you want more platform, increase. Usually one and a half to two complete turns of floodgate (from fully open) will give you a platform stiff enough for climbing that will still allow the fork to move when you hit stuff.

JMH

#5 ·
JHM is right on.... Lower pressure. Higher high speed compression to prevent bottom out. I even run a little low speed compression to prevent excess fork dive on brking and corners... about two clicks is where I am currently at.

#6 ·
I'm running my solo air 5-10 psi lower than what's recommended. As far as high and low speed compression goes, I'm 4 clicks in on both (recommended by peeps at Rock Shox) and my floodgate is one click in. When the fllodgate is popped out the fork is nice and stiff to climb on, when its not popped out I get a bit of sag.

I don't get a lot of brake dive with this setup, it's excellent on small stutter bumps, jumps, what drops I do, and any high speed square hits. I'm having a bit of difficulty getting the front to match how the rear feels, I can get it really close but its not perfect. This is most likely due to the fact that the front is Rock Shock and the rear is Fox... different companies with different takes on how a bike should be suspended.

#10 ·
I ride my totems at 62 psi and weigh 150lb. This gives them no sag at all, but stops them bottoming on drops to flat over 5ft high. Have had to pump them harder and harder the bigger I take them. I also have both compression settings nearly at full (2 clicks off).
These forks are the goods!!

#13 ·
Hey, how are those Totem Airs holding up in the bike park? I'm no lightweight (probably 210 with gear), and tempted to get one for an Intense SS for general trail riding and bike park duties. I've heard bad things in mtbr review about various flavors of this fork, not sure it holds up on gaps and drops and stuff for a guy my size.

Once broken in, have you folks had good experiences with them? I'm torn between the air and U-turn.

Thanks.

#16 ·
Swell Guy said:
Hey, how are those Totem Airs holding up in the bike park? I'm no lightweight (probably 210 with gear), and tempted to get one for an Intense SS for general trail riding and bike park duties. I've heard bad things in mtbr review about various flavors of this fork, not sure it holds up on gaps and drops and stuff for a guy my size.

Once broken in, have you folks had good experiences with them? I'm torn between the air and U-turn.

Thanks.
All the issues have been sorted out on the '08s.. It's an excellent fork for bigger dudes, I loved mine last year and I'm about the same size as you(plus 5-10lbs or so).. I'd go for the Solo Air, just in case you want to lower it for the SS.

#18 ·
You can put a little braking/pedaling platform in there by using the floodgate. That way you can turn it off again if you don't want it. Use a 2.5mm hex wrench (or use the end of your rebound adjuster) to back the floodgate all the way off and start from zero (counterclockwise). Now give it one complete clockwise turn and pop the LSC button up (floodgate ON). Give this a whirl. If you want a bit more platform, give the 2.5mm hex another 1/2 turn. Experiment until you find a spot that keeps the fork higher in its travel under braking. If you keep turning the floodgate hex past a few turns, the fork will lock out when you have the floodgate on.

Some say that the floodgate setting works even when the knob is down, so give that a try also. I don't believe this to be true, I can't really feel any difference.

[QUOTE/]7 low speed < cant seem to dial out brake dive though.. the fork feels like it tucks under on hard braking any suggestions welcome!
7 rebound[/QUOTE]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.