Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

hones with out cromo insert... any good?

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  lelebebbel 
#1 ·
k so i accidently ordered the triple ring hones and found out after they had been ordered that they dont have the cromo inserts. i am thinking about running them i have never had any issues with aluminum threads but the cromo give good peace of mind. i am consider my self a pretty smooth rider and dont go super huge or anything. you think there would be any issues with running the non inserted hones?

also are the hones a better quality crank than the gravity lites?

#8 ·
tacubaya said:
Mmm... the 3 ring hones also come with an aluminum axle compared to the two ring cromo axle...
Really??? This is news to me... I run two sets of Hones. I ordered one set with the double ring and a bash guard, which is on my hardtail. The other set I ordered is a triple ring set-up stripped down to a single ring and a bash guard running on my Bottle Rocket. I did not see a bit of difference between the two sets, besides one had three rings and was $20 cheaper. I thought I did my research, but if this is the case, then i best be switching my cranks between bikes. I just never heard anything about the spindle being different material... Thanks for the info :confused:

-Sodak

#9 ·
If i were you, I definitally wouldn't switch them from hardtail to FS - your HT is going to put MUCH more stress on the cranks than the FS will strictly because of all the "give" you have in your suspension.

That is also dependant on how huge you are going on either bike...

#10 ·
sodak06 said:
Really??? This is news to me... I run two sets of Hones. I ordered one set with the double ring and a bash guard, which is on my hardtail. The other set I ordered is a triple ring set-up stripped down to a single ring and a bash guard running on my Bottle Rocket. I did not see a bit of difference between the two sets, besides one had three rings and was $20 cheaper. I thought I did my research, but if this is the case, then i best be switching my cranks between bikes. I just never heard anything about the spindle being different material... Thanks for the info :confused:

-Sodak
Yeah, spindle on the 2 ring is indeed steel while on the 3 ring it is aluminum. IIRC, Xt cranks also have a steel axle but it is like double butted or something, loosing some weight.

#11 ·
tacubaya said:
Yeah, spindle on the 2 ring is indeed steel while on the 3 ring it is aluminum. IIRC, Xt cranks also have a steel axle but it is like double butted or something, loosing some weight.
That makes sense of why the triple ring set-up is cheaper than the double... Thought I was "milking" the system by getting a price break and a set of rings for free, considering I was only going to use the cranks and BB.

Ohh well,.. I have been extremely pleased with the Hones thus far, which is why I ordered a set for the BR. If they break, the break... Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.