Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

06 888 rc2x Problems

812 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  munkyspank 
#1 ·
I changed the oil in my 888 and I am now getting a squeaking sound and a click about 3/4 through the travel. sounds like its coming from the right leg of the fork. I have gotten a response saying that it could be the spring not sitting right, but I have checked and played with spring position and all looks good but the squeak and click is still there.

any ideas?

Yev

#3 ·
The clicking sound is pretty common for 888's. My 07 RC2X' had a horrible clicking sound and was very "sticky" on the inside. I did the first oil change myself, never got the clicking sound out. It actually got worse. I decided to just send it in to Zoke. The fork came back smooth as butter but still has a clicking sound, (sounds like something is clicking near the top adjustment knobs).

I do not know what the squeeking sound is though.... Maybe something binding? Is the spring seated on the white plastic bumper thing?

#4 ·
The diameter of the coil spring is a bit smaller than the inner diameter of your fork leg. As the spring compresses it flexes side to side. Sometimes the springs even snap from one side of the leg to the other as they flex. This is probably what you hear and is common with most any coil sprung suspension fork. If you really don't like the noise, get some shrink wrap and place a long piece over the middle of each spring. This will greatly cut down on any spring noises.

#6 ·
Scott@GO-RIDE.com said:
The diameter of the coil spring is a bit smaller than the inner diameter of your fork leg. As the spring compresses it flexes side to side. Sometimes the springs even snap from one side of the leg to the other as they flex. This is probably what you hear and is common with most any coil sprung suspension fork. If you really don't like the noise, get some shrink wrap and place a long piece over the middle of each spring. This will greatly cut down on any spring noises.
also what kind of shrink wrap have you used? I'm looking at mcmaster and they have a lot of options. I'm thinking of trying the viton rubber stuff, they claim it has high flexibility. any thoughts?

#7 ·
yev said:
I guess the main question I have is how did Zoke setup the fork in the factory to not have any sounds without the shrink wrap. since i didn't have any sounds until I changed the oil. the mystery continues...
I'm not sure what the current "factory tune" is from Marzocchi, but in the past it was only polishing the bushings, replacing the stock oil with a better quality oil, setting the oil height for the riders weight. I'm pretty sure they don't replace any springs unless you buy them.

Have you checked the setting on the HS compression adjuster. At about 3/4 travel the HS adjuster kicks in. Maybe they turned up the setting and you are hearing it more than in the past?

#8 ·
yev said:
also what kind of shrink wrap have you used? I'm looking at mcmaster and they have a lot of options. I'm thinking of trying the viton rubber stuff, they claim it has high flexibility. any thoughts?
Viton rubber should be good. It is heat and oil resistant. Same stuff they use to seal 2 stroke exhaust on MX bikes. I use some generic shrink wrap that I get from a local hose and tubing supplier.

#9 ·
mine did the same thing when i replaced a scratched stanchion, it would make a clicking sound about 1/2 way through the travel. I dialed in the preload (red nobs that sit under the compression and rebound) and the sound went away. When i reassembled the fork I must have had the preload adjustment backed out too much and the spring must have not been seated right. Not sure if your issue is the same but give it worked in my scenario.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.