Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advice or thoughts on protective gear?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Madman133 
#1 ·
1. How would you rank these features from most important to least. Please put them in numerical order from 1-6 with one being most important and 6 least. Please explain why next to each ranking.

a. Discrete (doesn't scream out "I am a helmet"/ Thin/ Looks like cool hat or beanie)
b. Customizable to head shape
c. Comfortable
d. Durable/Strong
e. Ventilation/Breathable
f. Visually compatible with attire

Example

1. ???? and explain why.
2. ???? and explain why.
3. ???? and explain why.
4. ???? and explain why.
5. ???? and explain why.
6. ???? and explain why.

2. Do you have any problems with your existing protective gear(if you have ever use any helmets or paddings) ? if so, what are they?

3. If you could compare protective gear brands to cars' brands, what would Pro-Tec, Red, Giro, Bern, K2, Salomon be? Why?

4. What trends in Biking industry are most imminent? (visual and functional)

5. What helmet and padding would you recommend for a Guy or a Girl who is looking for protective gear? Why?

See less See more
#5 ·
1. How would you rank these features from most important to least. Please put them in numerical order from 1-6 with one being most important and 6 least. Please explain why next to each ranking.

1. Visually compatible with attire. If there is one thing I look for in my helmet, above protection, visability, or impact resistance, it's matching. Will the visor match my brake line? Do the screws and straps match my nips and spokes? Am I really tough enough to wear pink? I feel you will find this is consistant with everyone else in this forum, because we are a very, very, fashion conscious bunch.

2. Customizable to head shape. Since my head closely resembles Dan Aykroyd's from a certain early 90's SNL skit, I'm very concerned with the lack of avalibility in 'tall' sized helmets. Particularly large cone shaped. Am I alone here?

3. Discrete. All helmets should look like beanies. In fact, can we get throw-back look, and get those leather skull cap/bathing cap looking helmets in a full-face? That'd be great.

4. Ventilation/Breathability. Ever heard of electric fans? A/C? What does it take to get a working cooling system to cool my abnormally shaped, color coordinated head?

5. Comfortable. Actually, this doesn't matter to me at all. As long as I look awesome with it hanging from my nice, clean, unblemished bike, I'm happy. I don't wear helmets. I don't actually ride anyway.

6. Durable/Strong. Like I said before, it could be made of balsawood for all I care. Just make it look cool

2. Do you have any problems with your existing protective gear(if you have ever use any helmets or paddings) ? if so, what are they?

- Frankly, I'm quite disappointed in the equestrian helmet I have been using because it does not offer a goggle strap.

3. If you could compare protective gear brands to cars' brands, what would

Pro-Tec: Datsun
Red: Dump Truck
Giro: Toyota, but before they were Tacomas. Just the truck.
Bern: Pontiac
K2: A moped
Salomon: Suzuki

- Banana print, banana print, banana print. I cannot stress this point enough.

5. What helmet and padding would you recommend for a Guy or a Girl who is looking for protective gear? Why?

- Guy: "Hello, idrunk. What helmet and padding would you recommend for me, Guy, because I am looking for protective gear?
-idrunk: "Hello, Guy. You should wait for 8-10 months to get anything, because that will give a company enough time to go through prototypes, R&D, and produce a model that will reflect what we at MTRB deem a good product."

Good luck with your market research. I hope you take my truthful, honest, opinions into great consideration while designing the helmet of the future.

#6 ·
Coor said:

a. Discrete (doesn't scream out "I am a helmet"/ Thin/ Looks like cool hat or beanie)
b. Customizable to head shape
c. Comfortable
d. Durable/Strong
e. Ventilation/Breathable
f. Visually compatible with attire

Example

1. ???? and explain why.
2. ???? and explain why.
3. ???? and explain why.
4. ???? and explain why.
5. ???? and explain why.
6. ???? and explain why.

3. If you could compare protective gear brands to cars' brands, what would Pro-Tec, Red, Giro, Bern, K2, Salomon be? Why?

I only buy my gear based on fashion, just like everyone else :D

#7 ·
neverwalk said:
ummmm,

do we get paid for market research?
Based on this crowd, all I have to say is: Good luck with that.
Good point, to be honest I am a designer for a protective gear brand. I won't say which one because I don't want to bias anything you guys have to say. But I do value your feedback a lot! After all we make our product for you! If you don't want to take the time to help I understand. If you do, I would be very grateful. What you say along with what we know already will make a difference on how we design your stuff. Later on I will tell you who I work for if you would like. Sorry if I inconvenienced you.:)

#8 ·
6. Discrete (doesn’t scream out “I am a helmet”/ Thin/Looks like cool hat or beanie)
4. Customizable to head shape
2. Comfortable
1. Durable/Strong
3. Ventilation/Breathable
5. Visually compatible with attire
=============================
No probelms with current gear they are as follows:
2008 Sixsixone flight icon helmet
2008 Sixsixone strait knee pads
2008 Sixsixone Core saver body armor
2008 Sixsixone decend gloves
I think sixsixone is up there, there gear is physically appealing, well built and very comfortable.
Trends...not really sure I don't pay attention to trends. I buy what i personally like and what works well for me.
Sixsixone, because they are the best i have come across in terms of helmets and gear. I have used giro and tld and like sixsixone better.

#9 ·
6. Discrete (doesn’t scream out “I am a helmet”/ Thin/Looks like cool hat or beanie)
4. Customizable to head shape
2. Comfortable
1. Durable/Strong

Seriously, this is what's important. A helmet that looks like a beanie? WTF? Please market those to the BMXers so that maybe they'll start wearing helmets.

I would like a helmet that resembles Darth Vader's or the cool looking black helmets that the Tie Fighter pilots wore.

#12 ·
1. Discrete (doesn’t scream out “I am a helmet”/ Thin/ Looks like cool hat or beanie)
2. Comfortable
4. Durable/Strong
6. Customizable to head shape

But they are all equally important to me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.