Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Waxing

4K views 30 replies 23 participants last post by  DirtGash 
#1 ·
So while washing and drying my bike off for the fifth time this week, it hit me--how much easier would it be if my bike was waxed? It seems like all the mud and grime would just rinse right off, and might even slightly protect the frame.

What about fork stanchions? Seems like if you were to buff them really well they'd be super slick in the seals?

So has anyone Turtlewaxed their rig?

#5 ·
Djponee said:
ya, if you put it on the stanchions, wouldnt it eventually clog up the seals, making your fork virtually unridable. it is worth the try on the frame though. the only downfall i could see is possibly dirt sticking easier.
Nah, I don't think it would clog the seals. I'm talking about a very small amount, SUPER buffed in.

I don't think dirt would stick to a waxed frame easier either. The whole point would be to make it NOT stick.

#6 · (Edited)
if you want to go all out go with zaino! which ever way you go, if you go with waxing her up, my suggestion would be washing the bike in mild Dawn dish soap. it strips all the road grime and dirt off the paint and takes it right down to the clear coat. Dawn doesn't not hurt the paint or clear coat at all. when the frame is wet, rub your h and fingers across the surface. if surface has any in bedded junk you'll feel it. if so you can do a wet clay bar to get off extra crud the first wash missed then. follow with another wash after clay bar. you end with a fresh clean smooth surface to start from. i'd use a good detail spray to get water stains off then start with the first coat of what ever it is you decide to use. i did this with my car and it looks great

#8 ·
I have used wax before... didnt really notice a difference.
but you should not be washing you bike that much if you can help it. Its a quick way to kill all your pivots and corode^sp any metal on metal like seatpost, handle bars / stem.

-on the other hand if you are puttling that much love into your bike, you should catch anthing in the premature stages.

#9 ·
Yea I would tone it down on the washing a little if I were you. Unless you are constantly riding in mud and keep it inside all that is really nessicary is a chain clean and lube and a stanction wipe down with a proper wash once a week. I can't imagine washing 5 times a week. What a pain.

#15 ·
I've heard spray silicone works great, dried dirt and mud wipe right off. I haven't tried it though because I am a slacker about cleaning my bike. I just keep my drivetrain and suspension clean and don't worry about the rest... :D

#17 ·
ive tried waxin the frame and it didnt do much. my friends make fun of me because my bike is always spotless before each ride. but hey i like to keep it clean and make sure everything is tight and working properly on it. also its easier to resell. plus when your buy a bike for 5000 dollars you wanna try and get as much back as you can.

does anyone have info on "moto foam"? i hear alot of the world cup riders useing it on their bikes. i called the local moto shop and they said just to use wd 40 on your rims and crap but idk about that.

#21 ·
Lemon Pledge furniture polish works well and is ultra cheap. Mud comes off a lot easier. Pam sorta works if you put it on right before every ride.

The "moto foam" you are referring to is probably the Honda foaming bike cleaner. I have a can and it doesn't work any better than simple green.

You can also try Silkolene Pro Prep silicone moto detailing spray. Very shiny and very slippery - just keep it the he11 away from your brakes, seat, and grips.

#23 ·
I used some (all right, a LOT) of turtle wax today. Works AWESOME. By the end of the ride, my bike looked like it had been sunk in a mud pit, but it washed off in about 30 seconds with zero scrubbing. Makes the finish nice and shiny too.

It works amazing on the stanchions. I've never felt a fork with so much sensitivity in my life.

#25 ·
dowst said:
I used some (all right, a LOT) of turtle wax today. Works AWESOME. By the end of the ride, my bike looked like it had been sunk in a mud pit, but it washed off in about 30 seconds with zero scrubbing. Makes the finish nice and shiny too.

It works amazing on the stanchions. I've never felt a fork with so much sensitivity in my life.
Alright thanks, I'll look into that for sure :thumbsup:
What do you mean by power buffed though...:confused: surely not with an actual buffer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.