Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which Bike? Need help

776 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  albertomannil 
#1 ·
I'm going to buy a bike and I'm standing between the choice of these following bikes:

Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
Scott gambler DH 20

and
Specialized Demo 7.1

On the first two bikes I am able to get a student discount on, so they are both about 750 dollars cheaper than the demo.. Anybody that has any experience of these sweet bikes?

#3 ·
jawdrop on hardtail said:
You listed a 9.5" travel multi-pivot downhill bike, an 8" travel single-pivot downhill bike, and a 7" travel multi-pivot freeride bike. Comparing them is like apples and oranges.
Well, yeah.. I know that they are different, but they are all meant for DH. What would you recommend, a bike with a lot of travel or little? :)

#5 ·
iron1 said:
I say the demo is defenitly the best choice. I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the stab. As for the scott I haven't heard much but I would think the demo is better.
Ok :( What did they say that was bad about it? I personally think that the demo is the most beautiful of these three, but is the 7 inch travel to short? I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, but i don't know if it's worth 800 bucks more.

#7 ·
albertomannil said:
I prefer oranges

I'd say demo.

btw, how can u get a student discount?
I live in Sweden, and all students (in high-school and over) gets a free membership in a company that together with the government co-operate with a lot of companies and give discounts on travels, school materials and other things that can give students the things they need to stay study and get to the school. One of these things is a 10% discount on all bikes at a big bike company called sportson. That brings down the price about 500 dollars on the Kona and the Scott.

Though that company sell any Downhill bikes from Specialized. So only the Kona and the scott are available with discounts. What makes the Demo a better bike?

#9 ·
It's a great bike and I really wan't it.. but I can't afford the 8 for sure, and I'll have to work all summer to afford the 7.1. So I don't think they're worth it, I've been waiting for this DH summer so much I can't wait no more. So it's pretty much between the Gambler and the Kona..

Anybody that knows anything about these DH rigs? :)

#11 ·
This is just my opinion but i have always seen kona as a more bullet proof dh rig, more of a beginner type bike, just a simple 4 link design. I would go demo much better bike, you really dont need any more than 7in of travel and specialized gives life time warranty on the frame which is a great insurance policy

#12 ·
Buy the demo. In the end, an inch isnt that big of a difference. if you really really want and awesome DH machine, I'd say work a little more and earn the 200 dollar difference that exists between the Demo 7.1 and the Demo 8.1

I Vote Demo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.