Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Norco VPS Shore or Frame...

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  tacubaya 
#1 ·
I recently started MTB about 2 months ago and didn't know a thing about the sport. I bought a Coiler Deluxe and love it. But I started racing DH in sport class (got first at my first race :) ) and want to get a bike with a little more travel and different geometry, since Im already bottoming the Coiler out off the 10-20 foot drops im doing... Since I have very limited funds right now (about $1000) I was thinking about buying my buddys barely riden 05 VPS Shore. I know its more of a freeride bike but I really kinda want a Freeride bike thats good at DH with 7-8 inch of travel and he said he would sell it to me for abot 800-1000 bucks. What do you guys think? Or should I just try buying a new frame and swapping components from my coiler? Please Help...:confused:

#10 ·
Khemical said:
Well smart-alicky or not, you said you've only started biking 2 months ago and you are already doing 20 foot drops? It just seems a little far-fetched. I mean if you really are hey that's great and props to winning your first race.
Sorry, homeboy, but you have no clue. I know MTBR is notorious for E riders and E thugs, but this kid is the real deal. If you're in the SoCal area, PM us for a ride.

I met the CPT just two months ago, and I'm proud to say he's part of my riding crue. Yeah, only a couple months and he's straight owning it. I need to put him on my Canfield so he can do some Bender sh/t.

Herb

#12 ·
DickemDown said:
Sorry, homeboy, but you have no clue. I know MTBR is notorious for E riders and E thugs, but this kid is the real deal. If you're in the SoCal area, PM us for a ride.

I met the CPT just two months ago, and I'm proud to say he's part of my riding crue. Yeah, only a couple months and he's straight owning it. I need to put him on my Canfield so he can do some Bender sh/t.

Herb
Hey that's great but you can understand my skepticism at first. Had he posted those pictures along with his first post well then....:)

#13 ·
RC_Compton said:
I recently started MTB about 2 months ago and didn't know a thing about the sport. I bought a Coiler Deluxe and love it. But I started racing DH in sport class (got first at my first race :) ) and want to get a bike with a little more travel and different geometry, since Im already bottoming the Coiler out off the 10-20 foot drops im doing... Since I have very limited funds right now (about $1000) I was thinking about buying my buddys barely riden 05 VPS Shore. I know its more of a freeride bike but I really kinda want a Freeride bike thats good at DH with 7-8 inch of travel and he said he would sell it to me for abot 800-1000 bucks. What do you guys think? Or should I just try buying a new frame and swapping components from my coiler? Please Help...:confused:
Have you looked at tweaking the coiler? Its a pretty good bike, and to fix you bottoming it, might just mean stiffer coils in the shock/forks and or adjusting the compression damping.

What year coiler is it?

If not set up properly, you could easily have the same problem with the Shore.

Note also that the VPS shore is a tank.

If I were you I'd definitely see if the coiler can't be tuned to your riding style a little more, failing that buying a frame and building it up is also a good idea, the coiler delux has a half decent component list...

#15 ·
A Grove said:
wait wait wait wait...

You said you're riding on superT's... That is deffo a SC in the second pic....
The VPS he is looking to buy has a Super T, not his Coiler.

I would get a new frame if I were you... get a new spring for the shock (stop bottom out) and save for a nice DH Frame. You can get a V10 or a nice high end used DH frame for 1200-1500 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.