Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

any good FS bikes around a $1000

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  warmseth 
#1 ·
I have a friend who is looking for a new bike he wants to spend around $1000. I have told him to buy a good hardtail but he wants a FS. Are there any decent FS's out there that will hold up. Main use will be trail/xc riding with some jumps and small 1-2ft drops. A little more$ might be possible if needed but he is really looking for a max of a grand. I am not familiar with bikes in this range so I need some help. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Here are a few:

Specialized FSR $880 (disk ready hubs)
Kona Kikapu $999 (already disk & Marzochi Fork)
Jamis Dakar Sport $999 (already disk)

I would probably buy the Specialized or Kona, Jamis seems to not be as good in reliability and customer service as they used to. He may have to spend a few dollars to swap the rear spring to one proper for his weight.

#4 ·
Specialized Enduro....2003 model.

This is the time of year to get the deals on the '03 models. Shop around and see what is left in stock. I've seen deals on the Enduro, a Giant NRS and a few others that allow you to buy a bike that used to cost $1,200-$1,500 for a grand.

#5 ·
fl jay said:
are these retail prices, if not where are you looking, thanks
Those are MSRP prices so likely he should be able to get 10% off of those, especially this time of year.

#7 ·
supergo.com has a few closeout deals including an 03 specialized enduro comp with shimano hydro disc brakes and an xt rear dereuiller for $1300. i know that's a bit more but the frame is the same for the enduros all the way up to their $4000 bikes so it's nice to get into a frame that you can update componentry wise and not worry about wasting $ on a chitty frame. and out of the box that bike is very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.