Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SS Downhill Bike?

981 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  combatkimura 
#1 ·
Has anyone ridden or built a single speed downhill bike? I saw a picture of a Bottle Rocket that was SS'd up and it looked like a great idea. It seems when I go ride the lifts I'm not really changing gears that often but my chain likes to jump around. Maybe it's just me but isn't a rear der just kind of in the way?
I'm thinking this would be a DH/lift bike only and I know you would probably have to run some sort of chain tensioner in the back but it sure seems like a good idea.
If anyone has any pics or feedback thanks.
Oh maybe my mind is wandering because I'm bored at work.

G
#6 ·
A guy in my usual shuttle crew spoke fondly once of a guy who smoked him and a bunch of others down the mountain during a race a few seasons back with no drive train. I believed he busted his rear dérailleur coming out of the gate and just bombed down with minimal loss of speed.

How is this relevant to a SS-DH post? No clue, just was reminded of this particular anecdote. :)

#8 ·
I change my gears often, especially in racing and such to always be able to hammer it out of the corner... but then again I also do skill builder days chainless to learn how to carry my speed better and use less brakes.

so i imagine it would serve a novel purpose, however for practicality, i would stick with gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.