Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DH/FR flat pedals?

3K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  ducktape 
#1 ·
I need new DH/FR flat pedals, and I was looking for pedals on sites like jensonusa, universal cycles, ride-this, etc.... Ride-this is what I'm leaning toward because they also carry a Truvativ bashguard I need. Anyway, what should I look for in a good DH/FR pedal? I ride Keystone, which can get really rough. There are tons of pedals, so are there any really sucky ones I should look out for? One that caught my eye was the DMR V-8 pedals. How are they?

#5 ·
The V12s are a better choice over V8s

There are so many good grippy pedals out there. Just look for a concave body & replaceable pins

I've been abusing a set of Hamilton animal pedals for some time, and they've held up so well I can't justify replacing them.

Transition house brand pedals, Wellgo B67s and DMR V12s are on our other bikes.

I'm kind of partial to the feel on V12s, and want a set on my hardtail. the pedal body has a nice size and feels easy to pick up with my feel for hops.

#9 ·
The Wellgo's have the set-screw type pins(allen bolt) which makes them very grippy. The length on mine was fairly long which made them a bit hard to get used to (I'm wearing 5.10 shoes). The only problem I've had with mine is having the pins rip out from impacts with rocks or just getting so mangled that I can't get them out to replace them. I just picked up some Premium Slim pedals and they're more what I'm looking for. Not quite as light as the mags but thinner and they have standard allen bolts that thread in from the spindle side of the platform (you can always get a wrench on them even if the bolt gets mashed)

#12 ·
Jefe makes a good point. I've been a clipless rider for awhile now, and am considering heading over to the flatty side. I love the combo of my Nike 6.0's and Specialized Mag Pros on my dj'er, and as everyone says, I've heard great things about the 5.10s. Get yourself a good shoe and you'll have less to worry about pedalwise.

#17 ·
shimano DX and V12 i have tried love them ... i prefer the V12 because they have less concave and dont hurt your feet if you peddle lots . . . the shimano DX pins are not long enough but they come with longer ones in the box, just remember not to over tighten them they strip the aluminium platform easily.

#19 ·
I run Crank Brother's 5050's and they receive a lot of criticism here. I actually really like them so far, and they stick great to my Etnies. They stick great and also allow you to shift your feet on the pedals if you know what you're doing.

If you need to go cheap just get 5050X's, if you want a lighter pedal go 5050XX's. I'm pretty impressed by them so far.

G
#20 ·
mmmm...grippy

Another vote for 5.10's, also 5050XX with taller pins. Very grippy, almost to a fault (hard to shift foot around during gnarlier DH runs, have to actually lift up feet to change positions).

If you got money to spare, Straitlines are nice. But the ebay MG-1s look like quite the steal. Clipped in I also run Eggbeaters and Mallets (07), so I'm fairly partial to Crank Brothers.

Good luck with whatever decision you make on pedals but the 5.10s are a must, MUST!! :thumbsup:

#21 ·
Another vote for the V12's, I've got the v12 mag, simply the best. And yes even better with good shoes such as 5.10s.

I'd go for the V8 if you're restricted by your budget, but if you can stretch the extra $$ to get the sealed bearing V12 it will be worth it because they will last much longer, and you end up potentially saving in the long term. Most cheaper pedals I've had that don't have sealed bearings generally didn't last more than 6 months before developing play - still ridable but annoying. I think my V12's have been going strong for a couple of years now and only just lost one pin!

Keep in mind that some poeple who have big feet tend to think that the V8 / V12 platform is a bit on the small side.

#22 ·
I actually vote against the 5050s. I do love Crank Brothers though.

I have run 3 pairs of 5050s. One pair of Xs and two pairs of XXs.

I got my first pair of 5050Xs for Christmas 2006. They lasted me untill August 2007. The bearings became toasted very fast. Although, they were the X model. I sent them in for warrantee and Crank Brothers was very very good and speedy with getting me a fresh new pair. They made a great mistake in sending me 5050XXs in replacement.

I also have been running a pair of XXs on my alternative bike since July. That bike doesn't get many miles but the pedals have held up. And I used them a few days at the skate park while my Xs were gettting warrantied.

The only problem thus far, is that the hardware is complete crap. The little allen bolts used to swap the plates strip faster than an oiled up girl in a club. This means that there has been many times that I've just not been able to get the plates off what so ever, they just are on the pedal for good unless I scope out a stripped bolt grabber. Also, this occurs on the bolts for swapping the pins. It's very scary, sometimes I'll be on an urban ride, and somehow, the hardware will have actually worked its way out of a plate, and have fallen out, and I look down, and a plate is completely sliding out of the pedal. That's a sticky situation, especially riding home with half a pedal.

The pedals have been great since the warantee. But I'm just not gonna go through the hassle anymore, I'm ordering Straitline Pedals tomorrow.

#23 ·
ducktape said:
Another vote for the V12's, I've got the v12 mag, simply the best. And yes even better with good shoes such as 5.10s.

I'd go for the V8 if you're restricted by your budget, but if you can stretch the extra $$ to get the sealed bearing V12 it will be worth it because they will last much longer, and you end up potentially saving in the long term. Most cheaper pedals I've had that don't have sealed bearings generally didn't last more than 6 months before developing play - still ridable but annoying. I think my V12's have been going strong for a couple of years now and only just lost one pin!

Keep in mind that some poeple who have big feet tend to think that the V8 / V12 platform is a bit on the small side.
Ok well my budget is a bit restricted but I'll see..... I'm guessing even with good shoes running my crappy stock pedals with 3mm pins for DHing isn't a good idea?

#25 ·
Heals120 said:
I actually vote against the 5050s. I do love Crank Brothers though.

I have run 3 pairs of 5050s. One pair of Xs and two pairs of XXs.

I got my first pair of 5050Xs for Christmas 2006. They lasted me untill August 2007. The bearings became toasted very fast. Although, they were the X model. I sent them in for warrantee and Crank Brothers was very very good and speedy with getting me a fresh new pair. They made a great mistake in sending me 5050XXs in replacement.

I also have been running a pair of XXs on my alternative bike since July. That bike doesn't get many miles but the pedals have held up. And I used them a few days at the skate park while my Xs were gettting warrantied.

The only problem thus far, is that the hardware is complete crap. The little allen bolts used to swap the plates strip faster than an oiled up girl in a club. This means that there has been many times that I've just not been able to get the plates off what so ever, they just are on the pedal for good unless I scope out a stripped bolt grabber. Also, this occurs on the bolts for swapping the pins. It's very scary, sometimes I'll be on an urban ride, and somehow, the hardware will have actually worked its way out of a plate, and have fallen out, and I look down, and a plate is completely sliding out of the pedal. That's a sticky situation, especially riding home with half a pedal.

The pedals have been great since the warantee. But I'm just not gonna go through the hassle anymore, I'm ordering Straitline Pedals tomorrow.
same thing with the sliding out plate deal happened to my friend.... but mine have been solid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.