Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Just Got My Frame Back From Paint!

3K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Kymmster 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's how it sat a week ago:

Here it is now:

All I have to do now is finish building it up. I have pulled a major overhaul on it for this year. I added:

-X9 Shifter
-X9 Short Cage Derailleur
-Got my 5050X's warrantied and Crank sent me XX's by mistake :D
-PG970DH Cassette
-Pimp Rims in White
-Hope Pro II Hubs in Red
-Minion DHFs for Trail Days
-Few little nice touches from Salsa

Still in progress is Avid Codes with Straitlines, Holzfeller Cranks, and a more pinchable saddle.

See less See more
#5 ·
cmooreboards said:
Not going to lie, I really like the original paint job on those bikes, great color. Then again, I look at the eye burning green and it makes me smile, SICK paint job dude
Hahah thanks.

Yeah I liked the copper finish. I just wanted a really poppy looking bike, instead of kinda woodsy and earthy. I think it'll work out nice. Going to the shop tomorrow to use the cup press and to deface the BB a bit and it'll be done!

#8 ·
motormonkeyr6 said:
Love the color

Where did you get that Giant hook for the tires in the 2nd picture?
I'm actually not sure. My stepdad grabbed it somewhere. We used to use it to hang the hose for the pool vaccum on but I took over that area last year and it was pre-existing. Check around at Home Depot or Lowes. I have way too many sets of tires.

#11 ·
motormonkeyr6 said:
Im in the same boat... Probably 12-14 tires...
Wow. I dunno if I have that many. Lets see: Minion DHFs, Holy Rollers, Conti Desils, Specialized Enduros, Hutchinson Airlights, Pair of Studs, Walmart Kendas. So 7 pairs.

I wish tomorrow would come so I can go build this thing up! It's gonna be raining all day though so riding wouldn't be much fun.

#12 ·
Heals120 said:
Hahah thanks.

Yeah I liked the copper finish. I just wanted a really poppy looking bike, instead of kinda woodsy and earthy. I think it'll work out nice. Going to the shop tomorrow to use the cup press and to deface the BB a bit and it'll be done!
It's actually called facing... not defacing. Defacing it would be like vandalizing it... or making the surface not smooth. You want to remove material from the shell - facing. Technicality.

I like the color. It reminds me of some Ironhorses we had.

#18 ·
Heals120 said:
Wow. I dunno if I have that many. Lets see: Minion DHFs, Holy Rollers, Conti Desils, Specialized Enduros, Hutchinson Airlights, Pair of Studs, Walmart Kendas. So 7 pairs.

I wish tomorrow would come so I can go build this thing up! It's gonna be raining all day though so riding wouldn't be much fun.
What are Walmart Kendas? Or is that how you're describing Kenda quality?

You may be on to something.

#19 ·
Raptordude said:
What are Walmart Kendas? Or is that how you're describing Kenda quality?

You may be on to something.
Haha no it's just the very cheaply made Kenda Tires that come on many WalMart bikes. They came on my moms bike many years ago.

The frame was painted, and I'm a little worried as it chips real easy during the build up. Can't say I didn't expect it though. I was originally going for powder coat but the guy who I was going to have do it didn't pick up the shop phone or show up at the shop for a good 3 weeks so I went elsewhere. Had my friends dad who works at an autobody shop do this for $100.

I went to the shop and the only thing left to do is get the drivetrain set up and build my wheels. Ordering the brakes, thinking of going Saint over Code, as well as pedals, and some blingy bar ends on Friday.

#20 ·
Heals120 said:

7 pair = 14 tires.:cool:

I like the new color.

#22 ·
Oh, and I'm making one last final order on Friday.

-Saint Brakes: 8" Front, 7" Rear
-Straitline Levers: Red
-Holzfeller Cranks with Howitzer Team
-Straitline Pedals: Red
-Straitline Bar Ends: Red
-FSA BMX Top Cap and Hollow Starnut
-DJ Saddle I found in the catalog today that I can't remember the name of

I'll be completely set once that's over. Just hoping the Saint hoses are long.

And I have to do a small drilling on the base of the Pike to bust the hoses through.

#25 ·
Shoulda Powder Coated

Just an FYI to cause aggravation... here in PHX at Arizona Powder Coating a one piece frame with a single color is running $65 including stripping for powdercoating. I just had my fully done ( 3pieces) with a base coat called silver vein and then a blue candy clear and it was $108 for stripping and an awesome job of powdercoating. My frame went from flat black to this and quite frankly I don't see how they make money at this price. This is a little taste of the seat stay until I get the correct bearings to put the bike back together.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.