Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XC to DH

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Hesh to Steel 
#1 ·
I'm a cross country racer from mid-missouri.
I have been downhilling before, but nothing too major, just easy places we'd hit usually on our way to CC races. (Telluride CO quite a few times)
Well I like to think of myslef as a pretty aggressive CC rider. I enjoy jumps, cornering at hugh speed, rocks, all kinds of that good stuff you guys get all the time on the mountainside.

Anyway, this summer me and a couple of my buddies are taking a trip to Colorado, just for dowhilling. We plan to hil Keystone, Winter Park, and whatever else people suggest.

I just wanted some tips so I can get the best out of this trip.
One question that pops up quickly to me is clipless pedals. Most DH riders dont use them i think but i honostly dont think i could do well without them.
Suggestions would be great about that and anything else you reccomend or discourage

Thank you

#2 ·
I'm pretty new to DH and started out on my Turner 5 Spot and made the following changes that helped a lot.

50mm Stem. Huge help going from 90mm, do it!

Big tires = traction, I had a pretty strong wheelset

DH tubes = no flats

Flat pedals, helped me feel confident. Good shoes, I picked up some 5.10's and they stick to the pedals very well. Some of the stuff I was on would of scared the crap out of me. The ability to let the bike go felt great. You can also centre your feet on the pedals which is better in abusive terrain.

Full face and pads!

#5 ·
Good advice so far. Buy some platform pedals and learn to ride them now. By the time your trip comes you'll be ready.

I rode clipless for 10 years and have been on flats for 3. For banzai riding you'll be very glad not to be attached to your bike.

#6 ·
if you poll DH riders on clips vs. flats, it'll come out close to 50/50
more or less same with pro DH racers.

you've been on clips for a while, and feel comfortable and confident with them..
my suggestion is, ride clips
Switching to flat pedals will throw you off your A game, and you need to have your game face on if you're riding serious DH.

aside from that... armor up!

#7 ·
blender said:

you've been on clips for a while, and feel comfortable and confident with them..
Switching to flat pedals will throw you off your A game, and you need to have your game face on if you're riding serious DH.

head of nail, meet hammer.

as blender said, your on clips, your comfy, stay on clips.

buy/rent armor, and a ff helmet, your styling.

#8 ·
blender said:

good advice...ride what is comfortable for you

#10 ·
bullcrew said:
I thought you were holding flash today for Drew!
Howd it go? Jose rocks man, got some skillz definently. Super nice guy as well!
Actually rode my first day, got some berm shots and steep rollins pics...overall just casual with no jumping....wrist is tender and still has bruises from Monday's pin removal.....Jose bit it real bad ....jumping into a berm....got a big raspberry....

thought you might stop by

#12 ·
If you ride clipped in, make sure you adjust them so that getting out is a bit easier. I can't imagine that being locked into your bike on a steep DH trail with a rooty, off camber turn would be all that fun.

Can't stress the importance of a Full Face helmet enough. Armour too (knee/shin, elbow/forearm, spine, goggles & gloves @ least). The goggles are optional, but if you are doing open high speed DH they will come in VERY handy. I (almost) never wear them when I ride the Shore, but ALWAYS when I ride Whistler, or when it is dry and dusty. If you have not done it before, you will feel something like Iron Man in all the stuff, but it is better than the injuries it will prevent.

EDIT: Do yourself a favour and rent an real DH bike. It makes an indescribable difference. Trying to DH on a primarily XC bike will be a) excessively dangerous & b) not nearly as much fun

#18 ·
even if i dont crash hard and need it it'll be there to give me a little more confidance
To me, the confidence that protective gear gives is almost more important than the protection itself. I feel a lot better about hitting certain lines when I've got a fullface and pads on than I did before I got that stuff. I have more moments over the course of a day where I take an educated risk, than moments where I crash. Or maybe that means I'm not riding hard enough, haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.