Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

saint brakes modulation

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Sim2u 
#1 ·
I seem to have no modulation. I am either skidding or full speed. Any tips on how to improve the modulation of my saints brakes. Anything would help thanks.

#2 ·
I have these brakes and they seem to modulate just fine. What I would do is adjust the lever reach much closer to the bar and move the levers further inward on the bar (if you haven't done so already). If you don't already, try braking with just your index finger instead of two fingers. For me, I can modulate pretty well between feather and full lock-up this way. Are you using the metallic or resin brake pads? If you got the brakes new aftermarket, you should have a set of both. Try the other and see what you think. If all else fails, you might want to go with a set of straitline levers for a different feel, or even think about getting a set of Formulas or 08 XTs with bite adjustments.

#3 ·
Use one finger.

My buddy has the old XT four pots, compared to my Saints there is not much modulation. Just a fvck load of power!

Make sure that your lever is adjusted out right, I run mine pretty far out and I dont have the biggest hands. As far out as possible without causing pain.

#4 ·
motormonkeyr6 said:
Use one finger.

My buddy has the old XT four pots, compared to my Saints there is not much modulation. Just a fvck load of power!

Make sure that your lever is adjusted out right, I run mine pretty far out and I dont have the biggest hands. As far out as possible without causing pain.
every time i have tried your's they suck. finally get them fixed?

#9 ·
Uncle Cliffy said:
I think he means that the old XT (Grimeca clones) had stupid stopping power. My friend still has a set and they require a skilled finger. :eekster:
I found the opposite to be true.

I could feather the XTs and not lock the brakes on a steep loose section much easier than I could with the Saints.

However there may be other factors involved, i.e., XT bike is heaver with 2.7 tires, while Saint bike is approx. 10-12 lbs lighter with 2.35 tires.

Everything else is same (trail, tire brands, rider)

I do believe the Saints are a little bit harder to control (maybe it's just me)

#10 ·
If you are comparing the Saint BR-M800 and the XT BR-M765, they are the exact same caliper and lever with different paint. There is absolutely zero difference between them. What would change feel is rotor size (203 vs. 160mm), the quality of the bleed, and the brake pad material (resin vs. metallic). If you are comparing the old four piston XT 755s, it's a different story.

General Havoc said:
I found the opposite to be true.

I could feather the XTs and not lock the brakes on a steep loose section much easier than I could with the Saints.

However there may be other factors involved, i.e., XT bike is heaver with 2.7 tires, while Saint bike is approx. 10-12 lbs lighter with 2.35 tires.

Everything else is same (trail, tire brands, rider)

I do believe the Saints are a little bit harder to control (maybe it's just me)

#11 ·
I've run the saints on a few bikes now... IMO I can't seem to find a brake that I like better in terms of weight, modulation, power and lever feel.

Chances are your brakes weren't always so on/off. If yours are grabby, take a good look at your pads. A common misconception is that contamination leads to a lack of power; but it can also cause a loss of modulation.

I've had my best results using 1 resin and 1 metallic pad per caliper. I'd clean your rotors and take good look at your pads. Try sanding them first and let them bed in again, then go to new pads if you aren't happy.

And... if you want to sell them, pm me. I've got a set of Juic7 sevens that i'd love to replace down the road.

#12 ·
schlim said:
If you are comparing the Saint BR-M800 and the XT BR-M765, they are the exact same caliper and lever with different paint. There is absolutely zero difference between them. What would change feel is rotor size (203 vs. 160mm), the quality of the bleed, and the brake pad material (resin vs. metallic). If you are comparing the old four piston XT 755s, it's a different story.
I am comparing my 2002 XT 755s to my 2006 Saint BR-M800, both bikes have 203 mm rotors and the Saints have one resin and one metallic in each caliper, I think I have a half-worn set of EBC reds in the XT 755s

I have stock steel braided lines on the 755s and resin or whatever factory line on the Saints. I reverse bleed both sets myself (shoot fluid up from the caliper to lever). The lever feel for either set is "about the same" so it may be that the newer Saints don't have a few seasons of downhilling on them and I haven't "heat-cycled" them yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.