Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What are my downhill wheelset options at 20mm front and 12x150mm rear

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Prettym1k3 
#1 ·
Right now im looking for something on the lighter end of the downhill/fr wheelset market. Looking at the DT fr2350 and mavic DeeMax's, but the deemax are hard to come accross. Is there anywhere I can get a custom set for around $750

#2 ·
Anywhere you can get a custom wheelset for $750...wow...

Nearly ANY bike shop will build you a set of wheels for that price.

I suggest:
Hadley Hubs OR Chris King to Mavic 721's if you are a lighter rider for just DH.
Hadley Hubs OR Chris King to Mavic 823's if you want Tubeless and ride harder.

I believe Hadley and Chris King come in 150 x 12mm options. Please correct me if I am wrong. Since you have such a high budget I don't think you should get Deemaxes, you can get yourself a better hub with your huge wallet.

#4 ·
Hopes:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=15207&category=736
front
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=16632&category=736
Or Hadleys but they only have them in Gold(theres probably other places out there that have them in black or w/e but these are probably the cheapest):
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=9143&category=735
front again only in gold:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=399&category=735
Put in the code lamium@orexis20080507 and you will get the rear hadelys for $288.97
the hope Black 36 Hole - 12 x 150mm Spacing for $201 with eveque9noter20080507

#5 ·
turbonate said:
i'll build the wheels myself if I could find the hubs at a reasonable price. Would prefer hadley's or hopes. Are mavic 823, my only tubeless option?
823's are your only wide UST option. You can go tubeless with any rims doing the Stans/ghetto style.

A friend of mine who made it to Sea Otter this year talked to Mavic about the 150mm DeeMax wheels. He was told Mavic's hub supplier decided not to make the 150 hub anymore. No more 150 DeeMax wheels... :skep:

P.S. Mavic 823's are used on the DeeMax wheelset. It's much better to lace them up to Hadleys than the Mavic hubs anyway. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
thanks for the help, looks like im gonna nail this wheelset for under 400, just scored a hadley rear hub for $160 used, would like to find a front for under $100, so the only other thing ive come across besides the 823's are notubes ZTR flow, they're around the same prce unless someone knows where to get the 823's for less than $90. What are the tire options like for UST, is there anything good out there

#7 ·
turbonate said:
thanks for the help, looks like im gonna nail this wheelset for under 400, just scored a hadley rear hub for $160 used, would like to find a front for under $100, so the only other thing ive come across besides the 823's are notubes ZTR flow, they're around the same prce unless someone knows where to get the 823's for less than $90. What are the tire options like for UST, is there anything good out there
you looking for 32 or 36 hole?

#9 ·
turbonate said:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=13874&category=145
then when you go to check out type in these 2 coupons into the coupon box thingy and it should give them to you for like $71 each or something codes are: tinean4eozoic20080508 and lysine4affect20080508 if those dont work just push price match and type in a random amount ($1 works) and a random website (www.cambraibike.com or w./e doesnt matter) then put in your email and it will send you a coupon code, you have to do it twice though, 1 for each rim.

#10 ·
turbonate said:
Unfortunatly, the 823's are the most expensive rim... I would save and just get them anyway IMO.

UST tire choices are slim. I have had good luck with Maxxis Minion/Highroller's and all the Michelin DH tires. You can't go wrong with those 2 brands. I'm trying out some 2.35 Kenda Nevegals currently on a Bottlerocket with 823's... :thumbsup:

#15 ·
If you want a wheelset that will last - 823's with either double butted or straight 14g spokes, laced to either 16mm alum nips or 14mm brass nipps depending on ur weight. I cased something that shoulda destroyed any wheel yestarday and all it did was strip out 3 alum nipps, the spokes are still mint! haha. the rim MAY be a bit low in one spot now tho, but prolly not. 823's = closest thing to invincible.

#16 ·
mobile chernobyl said:
If you want a wheelset that will last - 823's with either double butted or straight 14g spokes, laced to either 16mm alum nips or 14mm brass nipps depending on ur weight. I cased something that shoulda destroyed any wheel yestarday and all it did was strip out 3 alum nipps, the spokes are still mint! haha. the rim MAY be a bit low in one spot now tho, but prolly not. 823's = closest thing to invincible.
Amen. :)

#17 ·
Haha i didnt even mention I somehow didnt get a flat tire with a tube in it even. But i did leave pretty deep tire knob inpressions on the TREE i cased. again, 823's and 729's may be expensive, but if you are about 225 or less, and are not a total hack, you WILL get your moneys worth, granted they're laced and trued properly when built.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.