Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

servicing manitous

608 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  FoxRider77 
#1 ·
i need to service my shermans(slider)&(firefly) i dont want to send them away so i wanna do it my self. i know there has been threads on this but i couldnt find them. so if someone could give mye some insight on how to work on them that would be great

#2 ·
It's incredibly easy, pretty self explanatory when you take it apart.

The semi bath oil is seperate from the damper oil. Usually the oil stays pretty clean in the damper. The semi bath is for lubrication purposes only... I seem to recall something like 15mL... but could be wrong. Put back in whatever comes out. The damper oil... I thought was 30mm from the top... again, could be wrong. There's a service manual for it floating around...

The damper oil is Motorex 5wt. You can use a synthetic motor oil (without seal swellers) in the lowers for the semi bath. Clean out the gunk from underneath the seals and repack them.

Pop off the top cap on the damper side. Turn the fork upside down over a basin. Cycle the fork a few times to get all the oil out.

The rebound leg... remove the rebound knob at the bottom then insert a 10mm (?) and turn clockwise, this one is reverse threaded. Undo the footbolt on the other leg. The lowers should come right off. There should be no need to touch the spring side of the uppers, just the damper side. Now you can replace the semi bath, repack, and replace seals/bushings if necessary.

#7 ·
So tonight i tore into my firefly i had only one thing that i messed up on. for some reason i tried to thead on the spv rod out the wrong way and it broke half of the theads off. i still got the oil changed on the fork and got it back together but now the pressure leaks out of the messed up theads. so what do i do now about the jacked theads? Also do you only have to put oil in the lowers or is there any where else you have too??

#8 ·
mtbames190 said:
So tonight i tore into my firefly i had only one thing that i messed up on. for some reason i tried to thead on the spv rod out the wrong way and it broke half of the theads off. i still got the oil changed on the fork and got it back together but now the pressure leaks out of the messed up theads. so what do i do now about the jacked theads? Also do you only have to put oil in the lowers or is there any where else you have too??
I believe you have to replace the whole cartridge. Do yourself a favor and devolve to TPC damping while you are at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.