Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

To Build or to Buy?

515 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JamesDaniels 
#1 ·
^^^
I am looking to get my first freeride bike and i want to know what would be best? to build or to buy? building has its obvious advantages as i could build it slowly and buy parts when funds permit even though i'd eventually spend more in the long run. but if i bought a bike that was already built i would have a rig that works well and all the parts work together. but then i run into parts that i would eventually replace:confused:

#2 ·
for your first fr bike, just buy a complete. then, replace parts as you need or have the dough to.after, when your frame gets beat and is in need of a replacement, just buy a frame and put the parts on you like from the bike you had and buy the rest. That is the way to do it. especially as your first fr bike, i wouldnt fork in all the cash for it.

#4 ·
Only build a bike if you know exactly what you are doing. Build ups are either expensive, or affordable in my eye. Those that know what parts to get, how to shop, where to look, how to find deals, and most of all, have patience will get the parts they want for cheap. If you're lazy, impatient, and ignorant you'll end up spending too much money than complete bike.

If you're starting out just get a complete, and once you learn what parts you know you want and how to get them cheap, replace the complete with the parts you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.