Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what suspension upgrade first?fork, linkage, shock

617 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  konabiker 
#1 ·
What do you guys think I should get first? I have a 2003 kona stinky with the suspension setup stock. I wanna get dangerboy linkage plates, a super t (suggestions on 2003 or 2004 would be appreciated), and a new shock; probably the new fox dhx or avalanche. (leaning towards fox because of price) thanks for all the help.

#2 ·
matt said:
What do you guys think I should get first? I have a 2003 kona stinky with the suspension setup stock. I wanna get dangerboy linkage plates, a super t (suggestions on 2003 or 2004 would be appreciated), and a new shock; probably the new fox dhx or avalanche. (leaning towards fox because of price) thanks for all the help.
if you can only get one thing first i would definatly get a new fork. if you upgrade the linkage/shock first the geo would be fully whack with the stock fork.

#4 ·
oh yeah and about the 03 and 04 super t. get teh 04. all that stuff about people saying its not as good cause it doesnt have 2 hscv carts is pretty much bs. ride both and tell me you can tell the differnce. + on the 04 the hscv cart takes care of the compression dampening, so you wont have to worry about bad spiking it would have if it was ssv. also you get a little more tire clearance, and pimp black stanchions.

#5 ·
konabiker said:
oh yeah and about the 03 and 04 super t. get teh 04. all that stuff about people saying its not as good cause it doesnt have 2 hscv carts is pretty much bs. ride both and tell me you can tell the differnce. + on the 04 the hscv cart takes care of the compression dampening, so you wont have to worry about bad spiking it would have if it was ssv. also you get a little more tire clearance, and pimp black stanchions.
those black stanchions would go beautifully with the 03 paint job...

#6 ·
im just trying to clear things up for myself at the moment because i had a similar problem with my 03 bighit comp... i also had to chose between a new fork, or a new link/shock and opted for the fork after asking friends about it and such... now i have 8 in front, 6.3 in back... was that the right choice? i will only be able to upgrade the rear next season. the bike feels real plush though...

#7 ·
Master_Jako said:
im just trying to clear things up for myself at the moment because i had a similar problem with my 03 bighit comp... i also had to chose between a new fork, or a new link/shock and opted for the fork after asking friends about it and such... now i have 8 in front, 6.3 in back... was that the right choice? i will only be able to upgrade the rear next season. the bike feels real plush though...
that sounds right. that's probably what i'm gonna do. look at konabiker's post about geometry. rest easy you made the right choice.

#8 ·
Master_Jako said:
going to 8 in the rear and having a 5 inch fork on the front would have made for one of teh most retarded bighit ever. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.