Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Muddy bike?!?!?!

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Rod 
#1 ·
Came down a big slope today right into a long mud hole with no way around so i powered through it. What do i clean it with? Then what do i lube it with? Are there any household products that are good for cleaning and relubing? What needs to be relubed?

#2 ·
I clean my bike with a wet shop rag, then dry it with, well, a dry shop rag. Some people prefer to just blast their bike with a hose, but the choice is yours. If you go that way, try to keep high-pressure water out of seals.

Re-lube the chain with Pedro's Ice Wax, but only after you give the chain and all gears a full cleaning with (dish) soapy water.

#3 ·
Just clean the drivetrain and shock(s) and leave the thing muddy. It will just get that way again and fresh mud looks sweet! Seriously though, the bike does need a cleaning now and then. Just the other day I gave it a good detailing. I fill a glass jar with HOT water and a little simple green mixed in then have at the frame with a cloth/big brush, continually washing out the cloth and/or big brush. Then I get in the tight stuff with a toothbrush. Once all of the mud is off I go over it with a cloth and cleaner. Lately I'm quite a fan of this DuPont Teflon wheel cleaner since it seems to let the mud/dirt come off easier and doesn't leave everything feeling greasy.

Don't forget about the drivetrain and shock(s), that is the important part! There is a good writeup hanging out somewhere in the forum about bike cleaning, search for it and have fun becoming one with your steed.

#7 ·
Using a soft brush or rag and the gentle flow from your garden hose will work great. Your chain should be about all that needs to be lubricated depending upon how aggressive you are with cleaning. There are many different lubricants used that are available at your local shop. You can also find some dry Teflon lubricants at Lowes and Home Depot.

#8 ·
I primarily focus on keeping the drive train parts clean (f/r derailleur bits, chain, rings and cassette). After every ride I'll wipe the chain down with a rag and just lube the rollers with a dry lube. I ride mostly in dry dusty conditions so my drive train doesn't get too gunky. I'll use a solvent every 50 kms or so which is probably overkill but I like a clean chain plus it makes my daily maintenance that much easier. My frame is muddy/dusty most of the time but when I clean that I just use a shop rag and some warm water with a dash of car wash soap for good measure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.