Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bolivian Death Road?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  JudgeDH 
#1 ·
Anybody ever try this? For some stupid reason, I'm intrigued. I love daydreaming about it as it combines aspects of city riding with singletrack adventure.

However, if tourists are ruining things for the locals, I wouldn't want to be a part of that. Although I understand the new road has opened, making the old Yungas Road more of an tourist adventure thing.

And if it is worth a visit, what else is there to see? I need a vacation.

#2 ·
I saw something about this a couple months ago and it seems like a great time! There is a mtn bike touring company there that's owned by a couple Kiwi's or Aussie's, I think and it seemed they do a great job with safety and such. I've not looked into it b/c of other plans and I know I couldn't make it there this year, but it looks tasty for sure! If you go, please post your experience and some pictures.

#3 ·
My recommendation...go to Cusco, Perú. Just came back from 9 days of riding and it's awesome! We tour with Loreto Tours (loretotours.com) operated by Mateo Ochoa. He's a great rider and is ready for whatever you want...Inca trails, MegaAvalanche, etc. Want to pedal up, he pedals...want to go downhill, he goes down. He can even set multi-activity tours (Machu Pichu, rafting, trekking, etc.). My best MTB experience so far! ...and already planning for 2009!

From there you can go to Bolivia if intrigued. Gravity Assisted Mountain Biking (gravitybolivia.com) are the outfitters running the business mentioned above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.