Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stupid Tubes

624 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  DJrider04 
#1 ·
or is it stupid me?
I just had my 3rd flat (all front) in2 weeks while DHing. Every time the tube had split on a seam. 2 of the tubes were kind of old but that just seems odd. Have I just been really unlucky or can low psi split a tube seam?

I have been running a little lower psi (20) than usual (25) and i tip the scales at about 225 w/gear and am not the smoothest in the world.
Any ideas?
thanks

#3 ·
yeah, i think i'll run 28-30 psi or so and see what happens
by the way, two of the tubes were DH tubes
but i don't understand the part about the seam splitting after a "typical flat"/
I checked the tubes and there was no damage other than the split seam and none of the seams were split in the areas you would get snake bites. wierd.

anyway, is 30 psi reasonable or am i going to be washing out (even more than normal)?

#4 ·
fathead said:
anyway, is 30 psi reasonable or am i going to be washing out (even more than normal)?
depens on the tire really. Tires like Michelins favor higher pressures, other like the low. This is whats nice about tubeless is you can run higher pressures to get equivalent traction, and not to mention the lack of tubes to bust.

#6 ·
i'm running a minion 2.7 on the front right now (2 flats on this tire)
and was running an intense dh 2.7 before
the intense is the worst tire ever. the tire was a 50d which i know means fast wear (i got the tire cheap on closeout) but after one day of riding 8 side knobs had pulled all the way off down to the threads. LBS said it is a "for racing only"/FRO so they wouldnn't do a thing. I told them that the FRO refers to the 4 ply casing but no dice. Intense refused to warranty the piece of poo saying there was no defect. well in my book a useless tire, after one day, is a defect of some sort. Be warned intense tires suck

the minion is a much better tire anyway

#7 ·
Ive ridden Intense tires for quite sometime, and yes......when they say FRO, they mean it. What is one day of riding to you? Ive heard of that happening before under circumstances that didnt warrent for that much wear, and they replaced them. You can run the Intense's as low as 16psi, as where the Maxxis' I think are 33-35psi. FRO refers to the casing, and the compound. Yet again, it depends the riding you were doing. 20-25psi for your weight on a Maxxis, I can see why you were blowing tubes, read up what the min. max. pressure is for those tires, it'd be a good guide to follow. The Intense tires are meant for racing, and DHing that you can afford to pay for a quick replacement. They wear fast, the quickest ive found of all tires. So far my 909's have stood up to a full day at MountSnow, and riding on pavement there, few signs of wear in height of knobs, but non tearing off. Say they're the worst tire ever, and using them under the wrong circumstances isnt right. Just like you popping tubes and wondering why its happening when your way under the min. PSI.....good luck man, and id give intense another try if your going to race....or maybe the EX compound.

#8 ·
the minimum pressure doesnt really mean much. atleast to me. when i go dhing ill put like 20-25 psi in there. and thats under the minimum. havent flatted for like 5-6 months. but i got plenty of flat spot.aarrrgghh. but i weigh only 115 so i can see how if you weigh like 200 or something and run the same pressure as me you could do a good bit of damage.

#9 ·
fathead said:
i'm running a minion 2.7 on the front right now (2 flats on this tire)
and was running an intense dh 2.7 before
the intense is the worst tire ever. the tire was a 50d which i know means fast wear (i got the tire cheap on closeout) but after one day of riding 8 side knobs had pulled all the way off down to the threads. LBS said it is a "for racing only"/FRO so they wouldnn't do a thing. I told them that the FRO refers to the 4 ply casing but no dice. Intense refused to warranty the piece of poo saying there was no defect. well in my book a useless tire, after one day, is a defect of some sort. Be warned intense tires suck

the minion is a much better tire anyway
Interesting you should say that. I have two Intense FRO DH 2.5 tires, and one of them started to have all of the knobs fall off on one side of the tire, after only a few races. So I emailed Intense and they told me to send them the tire, and I would recieve a new one. Even with the great customer service I dont think I will ever buy an Intense tire again, they are too expensive to have such a short life. I also have had a hard time getting the bead to set in the rim, I dont know if that is a tire problem or a rim problem, but it makes me mad when I get tire rub on my fork with a tire that should fit no problem.

#10 ·
Its because the Intense tires are true to size, and possibly larger side knobs, that could be why they were rubbing. I also have heard the same thing with their CS before. The tires are hard to get on and off, but ive found that the smaller the size for them, the harder it is. I had a hell of a time trying to get my 2.5 off yesterday, I couldnt fold the bead up to get the tire lever in. They have very stiff sidewalls, and are one of the hardest tires to get on and off. What fork are you running wheelie? DHracer, its pretty much just a rule of thumb to follow, but because of your weight your can run it less and not have a problem. I ran my Nokians at like 23psi, and blew out my front one second run. I jacked it up to the minimum, and didnt have any more issues. But, as I said, if he weighs 200+, and is running the tires that low, he's going to have his tubes pop. Just jack up the pressure to a bit above minimum dude, and you shouldnt have any more problems....or call up Intense and fix what was wrong with your old FRO's.

#11 ·
DJrider04 said:
Its because the Intense tires are true to size, and possibly larger side knobs, that could be why they were rubbing. I also have heard the same thing with their CS before. The tires are hard to get on and off, but ive found that the smaller the size for them, the harder it is. I had a hell of a time trying to get my 2.5 off yesterday, I couldnt fold the bead up to get the tire lever in. They have very stiff sidewalls, and are one of the hardest tires to get on and off. What fork are you running wheelie? DHracer, its pretty much just a rule of thumb to follow, but because of your weight your can run it less and not have a problem. I ran my Nokians at like 23psi, and blew out my front one second run. I jacked it up to the minimum, and didnt have any more issues. But, as I said, if he weighs 200+, and is running the tires that low, he's going to have his tubes pop. Just jack up the pressure to a bit above minimum dude, and you shouldnt have any more problems....or call up Intense and fix what was wrong with your old FRO's.
Well, Ive got a sherman slider, and an intense 2.5 should fit no problem. But, I still cant get the bead to seat properly in the rim. Ive tried to lube the bead and pump up the tire to 60psi but the tire still wobbles back and forth. My rim is pretty close to being true so that doesnt have anything to do with it.

#12 ·
Is this the problem with all Intense tires uve used? There could be something wrong wiht the tire. Try calling up Intense, and having them talk you through it. Sounds like a defect with your tire.

#13 ·
DJrider04 said:
Is this the problem with all Intense tires uve used? There could be something wrong wiht the tire. Try calling up Intense, and having them talk you through it. Sounds like a defect with your tire.
I only had the problem with one tire, but I cant remember if its the one I sent back, or the one I have at home right now. Im hoping its a tire defect, because tire rub on my fork is not something I can deal with again.

#14 ·
Sounds like a defect to me, ive never had that happen. Ive tried a few other tires, and the Intense's stick very well, but are expensive for the time they last. Im hoping to get sponsored by an LBS so I can pick them up a bit cheaper, shipping on tires killed me. I used to run Nokian Gazzies for DH, but there were many sections that I would just hope they stuck, I lost it a few times. I did it with the 909's, and ran them at a bit higher PSI, and they still stuck to everything. I was at Mountsnow and there was a wet waterpipe sticking out that you had to kinda ride over because it was after a mud bog. My friend hits it, and slides. I hit it, my back tire just skimmed it, slid a bit, then just hooked up. I was like.....speechless lol. They are pricey, but I think they are worth it. When I swapped them with the Nokians, it added like 3 pounds to my bike, but just made it more stable. What are you running now wheelie?

#15 ·
DJrider04 said:
Sounds like a defect to me, ive never had that happen. Ive tried a few other tires, and the Intense's stick very well, but are expensive for the time they last. Im hoping to get sponsored by an LBS so I can pick them up a bit cheaper, shipping on tires killed me. I used to run Nokian Gazzies for DH, but there were many sections that I would just hope they stuck, I lost it a few times. I did it with the 909's, and ran them at a bit higher PSI, and they still stuck to everything. I was at Mountsnow and there was a wet waterpipe sticking out that you had to kinda ride over because it was after a mud bog. My friend hits it, and slides. I hit it, my back tire just skimmed it, slid a bit, then just hooked up. I was like.....speechless lol. They are pricey, but I think they are worth it. When I swapped them with the Nokians, it added like 3 pounds to my bike, but just made it more stable. What are you running now wheelie?
Yeah, I think the 909s are a better tire than the DH, they have a much better tread pattern. Right now Ive got some WTB motoraptor 2.4s that Im using as XC tires as they weight about half as much as the intenses. But when I get my new tire back from Intense, ill run both Intenses. Does anyone know how Maxxis sidewalls compare to Intenses? Are they as stiff?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.