Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone want an 08 v10

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  davep 
#1 ·
#12 ·
Hmmmm, not sure how you guys figure this is a great price.

Starting bid is $2900 but he has a reserve. For all we know, his reserve is $5000. Could be less, but in my experience, if the starting bid is high, the reserve is high. Not to smart on the sellers part. Listing fees are higher the higher your starting price is and since he's already paying triple the listing fee to have a reserve price, he should have just started it at a $1. Only reason to use a high starting price is if there is no reserve.

#14 ·
RickyD said:
Hmmmm, not sure how you guys figure this is a great price.

Listing fees are higher the higher your starting price is and since he's already paying triple the listing fee to have a reserve price, he should have just started it at a $1. Only reason to use a high starting price is if there is no reserve.
Starting fees are the same after $500 so he's not paying anything more by starting it at 2900. It costs a meager 4.80 to start his auction at anything over $500.

Reserve fee is refunded if the item sells. In the event it doesn't sell, its only 1% of the reserve price.

What's $10 to make sure your item sells for what you want. Not much. I'm a fan of no reserve but by having a reserve, he ensures bidders will bid before the last second.

#16 ·
mtb_biker said:
Starting fees are the same after $500 so he's not paying anything more by starting it at 2900. It costs a meager 4.80 to start his auction at anything over $500.

Reserve fee is refunded if the item sells. In the event it doesn't sell, its only 1% of the reserve price.

What's $10 to make sure your item sells for what you want. Not much. I'm a fan of no reserve but by having a reserve, he ensures bidders will bid before the last second.
Throw money away if you want.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Perhaps you didn't understand my post?

Sure it's only $4.80 to start it at $2900. But it would have cost him 15 cent to start it at a penny and it still can't sell for less the the reserve. He just saved $4.65, still doesn't have to sell it for less then the reserve and now will gets lots of bids, which makes the dumber people think they are missing out on a hot item.

My point was if you're going to set a reserve, you might as well just start it at a buck. You'll generate more interest. Save yourself 4 bucks and still get your reserve price if it meets it. Only reason to start it at $2900 is if you're NOT going to have a reserve and want to make sure you get at least $2900. Set both a high starting price and a reserve is just throwing money away. Pick one or the other, but both is silly and can even be counter productive.

You basically addressed several points in regards to my post. None of which I made.:skep:

Nice try though

#18 ·
RickyD said:
Throw money away if you want.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Perhaps you didn't understand my post?

Sure it's only $4.80 to start it at $2900. But it would have cost him 15 cent to start it at a penny and it still can't sell for less the the reserve. He just saved $4.65, still doesn't have to sell it for less then the reserve and now will gets lots of bids, which makes the dumber people think they are missing out on a hot item.

My point was if you're going to set a reserve, you might as well just start it at a buck. You'll generate more interest. Save yourself 4 bucks and still get your reserve price if it meets it. Only reason to start it at $2900 is if you're NOT going to have a reserve and want to make sure you get at least $2900. Set both a high starting price and a reserve is just throwing money away. Pick one or the other, but both is silly and can even be counter productive.

You basically addressed several points in regards to my post. None of which I made.:skep:

Nice try though
Wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just explain the logic in what he did. Both have their merits. $10 isn't much to list something that expensive (technically lower if the reserve is met as that fee is waved).

By starting it at a higher price, he removes those who are trying to win it for $1, has less questions to answer to those that aren't intersted in spending real $, among other benefits.

There is value in starting your auctions higher on high price items as well as starting them at $1. 4.80 isn't much to worry about when you're selling a 3000$+ package

#23 ·
chooofoojoo said:
Mojo moves tons of DH stuff. we sold 51 Demo's last year... the most in the world (we'll put it this way.. the shop that sold the most next to us.. well they only sold 15). We're well liked.

and...We've had it for over two weeks. :thumbsup:
Well if my friends shop still could get Santa Cruz then i would be all over one of those at EP, but im getting a Morewood Izimu instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.