Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

king fisher?

607 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RideFaster 
#1 ·
i have been thinking about building/buying a freeride bike for some time now and have come across a deal on a 2005 Gary Fisher- King Fisher....i was wondering what you guys thoughts were on king fishers for freeriding, and possibly some all mountain trail riding?

#2 ·
They are a simple but solid single pivot bike that will handle a lot of freeride and some am...

Personally i dislike them though. Suspension just didn't feel right (and I like single pivots!) excessively heavy for what they are, and if you're buying complete they had lacking parts specs.

it is after all a fairy gisher.

#3 ·
I've got one. I really like it, handles real nice, takes hits real well, pedals better than some other tanks I have ridden, and has been exceedingly reliable. It is way too much bike for AM unless you are a slow moving 300 pound hack. I don't even use it for the majority of my freeriding. I ride a FR HT with a 180mil fork. I pretty much use it for a LONG day at parks, like Diablo, when I know that I will be there for a while, riding a FR HT tkaes it out of you and it nice to have the FS. Look, if it is a good deal, you will like it. It will work great!

#6 ·
I had a 2005 Kinfisher 2. It was a nice bike. It pedaled fine and climbed okay. I did a lot to it that should have cracked the frame, but I was stunned that it survived countless 5' drops to flat multiple times in a ride, while riding it 3 times a week for over a year. Eventually I outgrew it and got a new bike. The high BB is great for trialsy stuff where you want to get up a 2.5 foot vertical wall. The bike felt great doing very, very, very steep stuff...mainly because the fork was firmer than the rear shock, putting my weight further back. It has some flex in the rear. The pivot loosened up from time to time, even with loctite. I could never get the rear wheel straight (eccentric pivot.) For a budget freeride bike, it's insane, but there is better stuff out there...that costs more money. It is heavy, my medium (18.5) weighed 42-43lbs with a Manitou Travis 180 SC.

Hope that was helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.