Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Performance LunarLight tubes = everyday?

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Homebrew 
#1 ·
At a claimed 95 grams (for the smaller size) and 98 for the larger, are the Performance brand lunar light tubes an everyday type of tube for xc use? The price seems right but if I'm losing all my air on a ride or they blow...

#2 ·
danK said:
At a claimed 95 grams (for the smaller size) and 98 for the larger, are the Performance brand lunar light tubes an everyday type of tube for xc use? The price seems right but if I'm losing all my air on a ride or they blow...
depends....would you consider changing a flat an every day activity? I've had very little luck with those. A regular lightweight tube at about 125 or so is a compromise choice that works much better for me. They're usually much cheaper too.

#3 ·
Patchito said:
depends....would you consider changing a flat an every day activity? I've had very little luck with those. A regular lightweight tube at about 125 or so is a compromise choice that works much better for me. They're usually much cheaper too.
Agree just stick with lightweight tubes, probably much more reliable too.

Who want to get a flat while racing eh? Or even out on a regular trail ride if you can help it?

#4 ·
Ditto... I tried the lunarlites on my daily commuter and hardtail. Just had to may punctures and lost time on trail/road-side repairs. The peace of mind of running regular tubes far outweighs the lighter (noticeable?) rotating weight in your wheels.

#7 ·
No good for me.

I used them for about one week and they both flattened each on the day they went out. I live in MI so we dont really have much rough stuff. Pricker here and there but besides that nothing. Both the tubes developed very small holes in them and well I had to throw them away as soon as I got them.

I now use the Eclispe set with Stans sealant and no problems yet. No more flats for me. I even ride the Conti-Supersonics for the last 3 weeks and still no issues with the Stans setup.

But all in all spend the money and give them a try. Each person has different results.

#8 ·
I use Maxxiss Flyweight tubes
1.5 - 1.75 are 84g.
1.9 - 2.175 are 95g.
Slightly heavier than "claimed" - but still very light and IMO well made.

I use 1.5 - 1.75s with Conti Twister Supersonics 1.9s.

Agreed they are paper thin. On a club ride I get no more or no less punctures than the other riders. I think the pressure in your tyre combined with your riding style is a larger factor in flats or not.

#9 ·
They are fine.

danK said:
are the Performance brand lunar light tubes an everyday type of tube for xc use?
Yes. Used daily for years with no particular problems. I know people who install them carelessly and have problems; just inflate them a bit to get them in the tire safely. Using now on Continental Supersonic and Fast Fred. Just got back from a week of rock riding at low pressure-no flats. Very nice. Lose a little more air over time than normal weight but worth it.

#10 ·
Tippster said:
I use Maxxiss Flyweight tubes
1.5 - 1.75 are 84g.
1.9 - 2.175 are 95g.
Slightly heavier than "claimed" - but still very light and IMO well made.

I use 1.5 - 1.75s with Conti Twister Supersonics 1.9s.

Agreed they are paper thin. On a club ride I get no more or no less punctures than the other riders. I think the pressure in your tyre combined with your riding style is a larger factor in flats or not.
As long as I am not riding in thorny areas, the Maxxis Flyweights work just fine. At least I've found that I don't seem to flat any more than I did with the big ol' Bontrager tubes.

Best thing to do is just get a couple and try them for a while. The worst that can happen is that you go back to heavier tubes.

One more thing, the ultralightweight tubes like these make great spare tubes for carrying on rides because of their light weight.

#11 · (Edited)
where to find maxxis?

BadHabit said:
Yes. Used daily for years with no particular problems. I know people who install them carelessly and have problems; just inflate them a bit to get them in the tire safely. Using now on Continental Supersonic and Fast Fred. Just got back from a week of rock riding at low pressure-no flats. Very nice. Lose a little more air over time than normal weight but worth it.
Can't find any locally. Online? Oh, at maxxis.com
125 or 105g. Decisions, decisions.

#12 ·
I use them....

danK said:
every day. No issues at all, apart from when I screw up my tire pressure and ride at Downieville. I had two flats at the gathering, but I never flat otherwise. The trick is to carefully de-burr everything and clean out your tires really well. They do wear out, and when they do, they spring tiny leaks like crazy, but that typically takes 6-9 monts for me. I found when I started using strapping and electrical tape instead of cloth rim strips, that issue went away. As far as flats go, if a thorn makes it through your tire carcass, it's going through your tube anyway, no matter how thick is is (to a point). They don't loose air during a ride normally. I find I have to check my tire pressure every week or two.

I say go for it, what's the worst that happens.... you're out $10? That's a small price to pay to shed 120 grams of rotating weight.

#13 ·
danK said:
I used them for many years back in my weight weenie days. I've since moved on to bigger tires and tubes but the Lunarlights worked okay. They do need a little TLC though. You need to check air every ride and keep at least 45 psi in them. Also, you need the keep the tire and tube area clean. If you change a tire and get dirt in there, it will turn into a hole. I had more troubles with punctures and slow leaks than pinch flats. I would patched them and keep going. I bet I have at least 10 of these left over in the spares bin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.