Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

C-ride at White Tanks, Saturday 1-19-08

2K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  r39205 
#1 ·
yes, we're going to ride at white tanks! it was so much fun a couple of weeks ago
i wanna go back!

below is a map of the park with the proposed route.

we'll meet at the parking lot for Mesquite and Ford Canyon trails. i believe it's
past the ranger's station, up the hill. umbrous knows the park better and if this is
not right, he'll let us know. the plan is to get there at 9:45 and be RTR by 10 am!
(btw, if you come to waterfall canyon road, you went too far!)

proposed route:
we'll take mesquite to wadell (blue route) till the sign (see pic).
come back (orange) on ironwood and do the comp loops.
those who want, can do the tech loop (red) and we can regroup at the end.
from there we'll continue to the second Y and do the shorter inner loop (green).
return to our cars via ironwood and ford canyon trails (green).

options to ride more or less are always the rule! the pace will be casual with stops
for pics and whatever. it's a beautiful park, bring your cameras. plan on riding for a
good 3+ hours and bring water/snacks accordingly.

the park entrance is $6, ask for a map, you'll want one.

WHO'S COMING?????

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
ArmedMonk said:
I'm finally seriously considering joining one of these little group rides. It's getting to be a bit boring riding alone every saturday.
i know what you mean; riding alone is ok sometimes but not all the time!
do join us, it looks like it'll just be the three of us.

#6 ·
Umbrous said:
Negative, add one. My friend Reggie is in as well, although he may not do the entire route.
Hmm...maybe we should skip going to the sign and just take Waddell to Ironwood. that way it's not as long and Reggie and i can stay on the comp loop while you and ironmonk take the tech loop. that is IF he comes!

i've invited other people via email but have not heard back. perhaps the location is too far west for them or the start time to early. WHO KNOWS!!!!! it sure has been cold the last couple of mornings, though!

#7 ·
I would consider the ride. But I think I hyper-extended my knee on a couple recent road rides. Road with a friend last night and he suggested after the ride my seat may be to high. All I know at this point is I can hardly walk and I have new wheels coming for my El Rey next week. Arrrrrrrrgh :madman:

#8 ·
trb2929 said:
But I think I hyper-extended my knee on a couple recent road rides. Road with a friend last night and he suggested after the ride my seat may be to high. All I know at this point is I can hardly walk
If you're doing any kind of road miles get fitted to the bike before you really mess something up. Money well spent if you don't have a hardcore roadie friend to help you.

One easy way to tell if you seat is probably too high: pedal along at an easy pace and try to notice if you're rocking back and forth across the saddle on your sit bones. If you are you're reaching for the pedals at the bottom and you're too high. Drop the saddle until you feel those bones keep fairly even pressure as you pedal. Another thing that can cause knee pain in a hurry is if the cleat is off.

Good luck and don't try to "ride through it".

#9 ·
kaboose said:
Hmm...maybe we should skip going to the sign and just take Waddell to Ironwood. that way it's not as long and Reggie and i can stay on the comp loop while you and ironmonk take the tech loop. that is IF he comes!

i've invited other people via email but have not heard back. perhaps the location is too far west for them or the start time to early. WHO KNOWS!!!!! it sure has been cold the last couple of mornings, though!
I was outside trying to clear out the pool, the wind we had has dumped lots of leaves and such into it, and I didn't think it was too bad. So long as the wind stays at a minimum and the sun stays shining it should be great weather for a 10am start. :thumbsup:

Oh and it sounds like a good idea to skip going to the sign and back in Ford Canyon.

#11 ·
"Hmm...maybe we should skip going to the sign and just take Waddell to Ironwood. that way it's not as long and Reggie and i can stay on the comp loop while you and ironmonk take the tech loop. that is IF he comes"

"IF"? "IF"? I'll be there unless something really bad happens and I'm unable to walk........."ironmonk"...lol! never even thought of that one.

#12 ·
ArmedMonk said:
"Hmm...maybe we should skip going to the sign and just take Waddell to Ironwood. that way it's not as long and Reggie and i can stay on the comp loop while you and ironmonk take the tech loop. that is IF he comes"

"IF"? "IF"? I'll be there unless something really bad happens and I'm unable to walk........."ironmonk"...lol! never even thought of that one.
Ironmonk...Armedmonk....not sure how that happened....at least the monk part was right. :D

#14 ·
trb2929 said:
I would consider the ride. But I think I hyper-extended my knee on a couple recent road rides...
heal up quick, tim. you need to join one of my c-rides before the A/C season kicks in.

another thing to gauge proper seat height is this: when the pedal is at the 6 o'clock position, there should be a slight bend on the leg. but i too agree with the other poster: check the cleat position!

#15 ·
Knew I should have stayed on the dirt. Darn road machine!!!! I hope this is one of those bothersome deals that goes away quickly. Not only will I miss the C rides and the rides with my other pals. Nothing worse being banged up and have new toys waiting to be used! Talked with Red Barn today and my wheels ship on Monday. I really don't blame the road bike for this and I'm not even sure yet if it is related. I actually had a great time riding last night even in 40 degree weather.

#16 ·
I'll be there

Gonna try this one more time. White Tanks is close to the house so I should be able to make it on time. I don't ride out there too often and only on the competitive loop when I do. It'll be good to check out some new trails.

#17 ·
darn it

I wish you guys were starting a little later, I have not been on the mtn bike in months, to much roadie type commuting. But the wife has plans, may have to cancel them so I can go ride. If I see you out there, I will see you, otherwise, have a ball.
Tim

#18 ·
awesome time today! thanks to umbrous, jesterspaw, monica, ARMEDmonk (i ain't never mispelling it again!) and dave for showing up. t'was fun!

jp, i hope you post them pics you took. i'd like to see umbrous pushing his ss :D :D (sorry mark, it's not that often that you do!)

well, till next time!

ms K

#19 ·
kaboose said:
awesome time today! thanks to umbrous, jesterspaw, monica, ARMEDmonk (i ain't never mispelling it again!) and dave for showing up. t'was fun!

jp, i hope you post them pics you took. i'd like to see umbrous pushing his ss :D :D (sorry mark, it's not that often that you do!)

well, till next time!

ms K
White Tanks were nice today!

Attachments

#21 ·
kaboose said:
Hey! You've seen me push that SS before! That just one of those spots that's all mental, and besides you will note that the pic is on a downhill, not on an uphill. Being the only SS out today, perhaps I should get cut some slack maybe? :D

Oh and where were you on this area of trail? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.