Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which Hub? Chris King or HOPE Pro-II

4K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  savageracing 
#1 ·
Guys, now i have to decide on which hubs will i get. Which is a better choice between Chris King ISO or HOPE Pro-II? I'm planning to get a Blue Colored Hub and now deciding between the 2 brands. I also learned that the Hope Pro-II's front hub is convertible to QR & 20mm unlike the C.Kings.

Hoping again for your inputs Homers!!! :)

Thank you!

#2 ·
I have both and really like both. They are both loud and have good solid engagement and do well in the muck/mud/water of western Oregon. I like the price of the Hopes better and the fact that the Hopes come with a steel freehub body standard versus the Aluminum on the King. I'm a fatty that breaks stuff a lot though so...may not be a concern for you.

Brock...

#4 ·
ImaKlyde said:
I have both and really like both. They are both loud and have good solid engagement and do well in the muck/mud/water of western Oregon. I like the price of the Hopes better and the fact that the Hopes come with a steel freehub body standard versus the Aluminum on the King. I'm a fatty that breaks stuff a lot though so...may not be a concern for you.

Brock...
I like SSinga's idea on this. The ProII rear is a very good hub, however. Bang for the buck and still well sealed.

As far as the steel freehub standard, I am not aware of this. In fact, I've spoken to Phil at Hope about it a bunch of times and it's a $70 upcharge to get the stainless freehub. Is it possible your ProII was customized? Hope is pretty good with their dealers if the customer wants to customize their brake or hub order with different options.

#6 ·
There is a chance...

Jerk_Chicken said:
I like SSinga's idea on this. The ProII rear is a very good hub, however. Bang for the buck and still well sealed.

As far as the steel freehub standard, I am not aware of this. In fact, I've spoken to Phil at Hope about it a bunch of times and it's a $70 upcharge to get the stainless freehub. Is it possible your ProII was customized? Hope is pretty good with their dealers if the customer wants to customize their brake or hub order with different options.
...that I'm wrong as hell (I still have not made my 2008 mistake yet). I don't know Phil, Larry or Moe. I bought them that way (stainless freehub body) and wasn't charged anything more due to it though. Maybe someone forgot (?). The King stainless freehub is $100 of course (well $99...).

Brock...

#7 ·
Surething!

Dusty Bottoms said:
Whatever you end up choosing, please make sure you start a new thread alerting us to your decision, and then another thread when you finally have them installed, with pics. Thanks.
Hi Dusty Bottoms! Yah, i will definitely update you what hubs i'll get. I have already an All-Mountain Industry Nine and this new hub will be for my new project bike.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Cheers!

#10 ·
The reds don't match

crisillo said:
+1
that combo should rock!

(and both "blues" should match)
and of course it's difficult to tell via these photos if the blues are closer. Both reds (King and Hope) look good, but they are not really what I would call a match. The Kings are shinier/brighter, more vivid or deeper maybe.

Brock...

Attachments

#16 ·
It's cause people look for bang for the buck, even if they have money for the most expensive one of the bunch.

I could have got a King in the back an I9 (provided the normal flanges were available), but it wasn't sensible for me to go past the ProII and the 240/340's I have on hand.

I would love to explore Hadley if I'm in the market again, BUT it still baffles me about how they operate without a website and I have to go to Beyond Bikes for a few snippits of data.

#17 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
I would love to explore Hadley if I'm in the market again, BUT it still baffles me about how they operate without a website and I have to go to Beyond Bikes for a few snippits of data.
I'm with you JC. I just bought a new rear Hadley and had to go through all sorts of meanderings just to find out what the engagement on the thing is. 72pt, same as a CK and bombproof! Still need a special tool to overhaul though.

#19 ·
i also have both, but would draw your attention to the fact that Hope's rotor's have slight incompatability with King front hubs as the king is slightly different face to face dim's / iso fixing centres, etc.
basically, if you run Hope brakes, then i suggest a minimum Hope front hub,

Simon.

#20 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
It's cause people look for bang for the buck, even if they have money for the most expensive one of the bunch.
I must say this line of argument is a red herring. It's simply selectively applied economy. Why not buy a Kona? It's just a value-oriented Turner, right?

Every time I open my Hopes I am disappointed by what I find inside. Every time I open my Kings (some are 6 years old now) I am impressed. If the Kings outlast the Hopes by a factor of 3, but cost twice as much, then they are less expensive to own. The up-front cost is not the whole story.

I'm not saying the Hopes are bad hubs, I'm just saying that they are not the equal of Kings, even in the "value" department in my experience if you ride stuff for a while. The rear hubs more so than the front- it's hard to screw up a front hub. I own 5 rear Kings, 5 front Kings, 1 rear Hope, and 3 front Hope hubs.

#21 ·
tscheezy said:
I must say this line of argument is a red herring. It's simply selectively applied economy. Why not buy a Kona? It's just a value-oriented Turner, right?
Because I had different reasons to buy a Turner. I didn't pick between a Hope ProII, King, and a Turner frame. A frame is what parts are hung off of.

There is different criteria people have, and again, it's not a matter of spending as much money as you possibly can just so you can simply continue posting pictures about your bling on a message board.

#23 ·
I never compared it to Kings beyond "Bang for the Buck". Please read my words in this thread more carefully. You likely didn't because only yours are important.

Link

SSINGA said:
CK rear for the engagement and nearly bomb-proof reliability.

Hope front for the ability to be converted from QR to 20mm.

.........................or you could just get the I9's (wheels or hubs) :)
Jerk_Chicken said:

#24 ·
mouse jockey said:
I'm with you JC. I just bought a new rear Hadley and had to go through all sorts of meanderings just to find out what the engagement on the thing is. 72pt, same as a CK and bombproof! Still need a special tool to overhaul though.
Are the Hadleys are freely convertible between 20mm and QR or TA and qr options for the rear?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.