Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fiendish Climbing

6K views 85 replies 30 participants last post by  SSINGA 
#1 · (Edited)
Watching someone huck off of something big or risky is impressive. But, what I find really fascinating, is watching people climb though, or up stuff that most consider unrideable.

Here's TechFiend gettin' it done in the chunky stuff.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for posting that Aqua. I have too much fear to ride or huck a lot of the stuff I see you guys doing, but I can at least try climbing up some of the technical stuff. It's always really impressive to see what some people can climb, that I usually don't have the horsepower to do. That second picture is impressive. Good job Techfiend.

#11 ·
ya see... ive learned to get a bit of air but its this stuff ive yet to embrace. part of it is strength and alot of it is my total fear of inversion. i hate steep ups and loath them when i dont have a good place to put a foot down. to me, its guys like myl and the rest who can do this stuff that are the real riders to look up to. color me impressed. good post aqua! very good post.

#12 ·
Too much credit..

Aquaholic said:
Here's TechFiend gettin' it done in the chunky stuff.
Mr. Aqua and I spent a lot of time today playing around on Noble. My success rate on the major chunk wasn't very high, but it was all very good and nobody got hurt.

Here's Mr. Aqua and his rollers..

Attachments

#16 ·
Good stuff. I love watching a good climb: the churning wheels, the biting tread, the synchronicity of the pedaling, the subtleness of the weight shifts, the clunking of rocks underneath, the slight and infrequent kick of dirt, the rare but sometimes necessary brake flicking. Love it.

#17 ·
when i was a xc racer geek, we use to pick the top of the nastyest climb to do our spectating/heckeling. it was always a rush to watch the best asenders kick the mountains ass and leave it the doctor bill. for the slower guys or mechanicals we always had some extra beer in case they needed a rest or a diversion. good times.....

#20 ·
You DID clean that section? Hell, I'll never be able to harrass you again if you did. I hope you meant did NOT clean that section. You should come back to CO sometime. In fact, come when crisillo comes back and we may do a Colorado-Montana trip and you can ride with Larry and Chad.

Larry is another guy who can ride really well and clear some crazy sections. It is great fun watching good technical climbers. I enjoy that the most. I have never seen Chad ride but I hear that guy was FAST when he was back in Kansas City and rode with some riders/racers I know.

#21 ·
Flyer said:
You DID clean that section? Hell, I'll never be able to harrass you again if you did. I hope you meant did NOT clean that section. You should come back to CO sometime. In fact, come when crisillo comes back and we may do a Colorado-Montana trip and you can ride with Larry and Chad.

Larry is another guy who can ride really well and clear some crazy sections. It is great fun watching good technical climbers. I enjoy that the most. I have never seen Chad ride but I hear that guy was FAST when he was back in Kansas City and rode with some riders/racers I know.
doh! so sorry...meant I did NOT clean it. Did ok on my two attempts but on top of it (I know, excuses, as if it would matter) was on a brand new bike I had shipped the day before to my sisters house (who lives nearby) and was running single speed in too tough of a gear to have a chance (for me anyway). Having said that, i do plan on coming to CO this next summer and would love to hook up and make fun of you (and you of me) in person :)

#22 · (Edited)
I came across this pic (by Fo, I believe)

which to me shows the WOS at its gnarliest. Compare the rocks you have to scale to the elevation gain as seen by all those steps to the left. Back in the day the stairs weren't there and you could pick a line as needed to the left but no more.

Seeing and choosing a line from the bottom is not the same as riding that same line, you just make it up as you go and sometimes (like in the vid) get real lucky.

#25 ·
xcguy said:
which to me shows the WOS at its gnarliest. Compare the rocks you have to scale to the elevation gain as seen by all those steps to the left. Back in the day the stairs weren't there and you could pick a line as needed to the left but no more.

Seeing and choosing a line from the bottom is not the same as riding that same line, you just make it up as you go and sometimes (like in the vid) get real lucky.
and to all you SoCal girls.....who are in sorry shape to begin with, dont even think about it. While this ride is not at uber altitude at all by CO standards, it is still a higher start than what you are used to. I would LOVE to try this again (and be humbled no doubt) on a geared bike....perhaps this summer

and xcguy, i am shocked you acknowledged anything I did as seemingly worthwhile? is it a new year's resolution?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.