Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Role of hardtail for you?....

841 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  FoShizzle 
#1 ·
I am considering either buying a relatively cheap (ie, $1000) used hard tail or builing one up as a "project bike". I am curious to see if others (already with FS bikes) have hardtails and if they really use them. I think I would actually use it since a lot of my rides are long but frankly, are not technical at all and an all mountain type of bike is probably not of much benefit. However, I wonder if I simply forgot how it is to ride one and if I would regret it so please let me know if you still use yours and it what regards. I am not querying hardtail only riders but rather those who moved on to full suspension as their general purpose bike but still have hard tail.

#2 ·
former f/s owner

I have test ridden many f/s bikes and personally owned three. One broke, sold another, sent the third back to the bike company from whence it came even though it was ok with them if I kept it for "extended testing," which means they never expected ot desired to see it again. Couldn't see any benefit in them, and they were heavier and required more maintenance and attention than my hardtails.
I use my ti hardtails mostly for CO singletrack, plus any pavement between my abode and the start of the aforementioned trails.

#3 ·
I doubt you'll regret building a HT

FoShizzle said:
I am considering either buying a relatively cheap (ie, $1000) used hard tail or builing one up as a "project bike". I am curious to see if others (already with FS bikes) have hardtails and if they really use them. I think I would actually use it since a lot of my rides are long but frankly, are not technical at all and an all mountain type of bike is probably not of much benefit. However, I wonder if I simply forgot how it is to ride one and if I would regret it so please let me know if you still use yours and it what regards. I am not querying hardtail only riders but rather those who moved on to full suspension as their general purpose bike but still have hard tail.
if you take into consideration the whole ride (up & down) I bet you will be faster on a lightweight hardtail than you will be on a dually.

#4 ·
I had the same idea, then I road a hardtail and didn't like it.

I've been riding dual susp since 2001. Back in Dec I thought it would be fun to ride a hardtail again, so I built up a slicky slicky orange Cowan.

I ended up hurting my back on a whoop/slalom course that I had ridden tons of times on my dual suspension bikes. I hurt my back upon landing off a 2 foot single jump. It would have been an easy mundane landing smoooooth jazz landing on my Giant AC, but the Cowan I hurt my back. Had to stay from mtn bikes for 6 months. It was just boring road riding during my recovery.

So bye bye went the hardtail and now it's full time full suspension for me. It allows me to rider harder with less taxing effects on my body.

But I tell you, everytime I see a Retrotec hardtail or one of them Spicer Ti cruiser frames posted, I want to build on up as a fun project.

My advice is to borrow a hardtail from a friend and take it on the trail that you would ride yours on. See how you like the handling and feel to your body. If after that you like the hardtail, then build one up for yourself.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice..

Good advice. I will be borrowing my friends Cannondale F(2 or 3000....cant remember) to remind myself what it is like. If I realize the risk/benefit ratio is just not worth it (ie, slightly quicker climbing does not outweight benefit/fun factor of going down or through technical areas), I may just buy a road bike if the wife can be convinced...Maybe what I will do is pick up a nice XC FS bike and build it up real light so I can beat my friends who ride light hardtails on a weekly ride. Perhaps a Trek Fuel, older S-works, NRS, etc........I figure once I fill in what I think is a void in my stable (light XC / quick bike) all that is left is the Electra Rat Fink, which I must have.

Cheers

#8 ·
My hartail is my do everything bike. If I need to ride several miles to the trailhead (and it not a technical ride) I take the hardtail. When I need to ride at night on pavement, it is the hardtail. Also, it is important to note that not all hardtails ride the same. I just bought a built a Titus Riddler frame, and the ride is so much smoother than my Fisher Kaitai hardtail was it is unreal (mind you I swapped over everything from the Kaitai except the frame and fork). Bumps that were harsh on the Fisher are smoothed out like a softail on the Titus. Keep that in mind, a good argument for a TI or Steel hardtail for non technical riding over a short travel FS bike in many cases.

#9 ·
Good perspective

CDMC said:
My hartail is my do everything bike. If I need to ride several miles to the trailhead (and it not a technical ride) I take the hardtail. When I need to ride at night on pavement, it is the hardtail. Also, it is important to note that not all hardtails ride the same. I just bought a built a Titus Riddler frame, and the ride is so much smoother than my Fisher Kaitai hardtail was it is unreal (mind you I swapped over everything from the Kaitai except the frame and fork). Bumps that were harsh on the Fisher are smoothed out like a softail on the Titus. Keep that in mind, a good argument for a TI or Steel hardtail for non technical riding over a short travel FS bike in many cases.
Thanks for noting that perspective. Is it simply that, in general, steel or Ti will be smoother than Al? On that note, how much heavier can I expect a comparable steel from to be (compared to Al)? What are good budget frame/bikes to consider? Is it just crazy to consider the $89 Phobia (steel I believe with the Al at $149) frame at Universal Cycles? I asked and apparently the KHS factory makes them. My friend has a Riddler built up as a single speed so i will ask to borrow that to check out the ride for a baseline of what a good frame will feel like.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.