Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ideal 4x - all mountain fork

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
So I am going to build a trance as a 4x and trail bike. What fork would you use from either 08 this year or even 06? Is it completely neccesary to run a through axle for 4x? Ideally I think I would like an adjustable fork - Talas or such

#11 ·
Yes,the Pike comes with Maxle.
Great fork BTW,I use a lowered 90mm travel dual-air Pike 454 with great results.Stiff and light.
Fox 36 Float or Talas is also an option but many Pro Racers seem to use XC forks like Revelation,Reba or Fox32 forks which are real lightweight but not that bombproof as you might want it to be.
Maybe if you have the skills those forks can be considered too.

#12 ·
Trampelpfadbenutzer

Yes,the Pike comes with Maxle.
Great fork BTW,I use a lowered 90mm travel dual-air Pike 454 with great results.Stiff and light.
Fox 36 Float or Talas is also an option but many Pro Racers seem to use XC forks like Revelation,Reba or Fox32 forks which are real lightweight but not that bombproof as you might want it to be.
Maybe if you have the skills those forks can be considered too.
Yeah - the Trance will come with a Reba. However I don't come with the required skills yet. Maybe I should keep the Reba and change the wheels

#15 ·
theDoubleD said:
what about the zocci 4x WC thats a sick looking fork! But i havent actually heard how it rides, always an option, but my guess it is pricey!

Sure as hell looks nice...

Too bad it doesn't live up to the "WC" label as much as I thought it would. That's SSV damping for ya. :madman: I miss the Motion Control on my old RockShox.

The '08 is supposed to be a HUGE improvement and I'd imagine so with the new (and not improved that much) RC3 cartridge. The only other Marzocchi I'd ever consider for slalom/mtn-x would be a slammed 20th Anniversary Z1 RC2 ETA. Truly a work of art.

Anybody want an '07 4x WC for $325 shipped? PM me.

#16 ·
Latley I've been rocking 2 fox 32's. My 4x HT was originally planned for a 32 float, but I found a killer deal on an F100. I've been riding that for about 5 months and it has held up very very well. Nothing too huge on jumps, about the size you would find on a typical 4x track. The thing that kills stuff where I ride is rocks. The stuff I normally ride is just plain rough rugged and rocky. Been through its share of crashes with no problems. On another bike, I've been rocking a float 32 and it has also held up very well in those same conditions. I will add these forks have seen almost no DJ time.

FWIW, I weigh ~160 and I consider myself to be a decently smooth rider.

On typical 4x tracks, I really don't see too much that will destroy a fork unless you're pretty heavy and/or case alot jumps. I will also add that these lightweight XC forks are pretty controversial choices, so for a more middle of the road fork you can never go wrong with a Pike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.