Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XC hardtail question..............

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  edouble 
#1 ·
hey guys,
I need your expertise about what type of frame should I buy. I have a choice of a steel frame (reynolds 853) or an aluminum frame with carbon seat stays. I guess I'm mostly concerned which one would be the most compliant ride. Thanks for your answers in advance.
Calboy

#2 ·
Steel is probably going to give a little softer ride but most riders I think would choose aluminum prefering to build up the lightest possible bike. With a decent fork like a Fox or Reba and a couple of decent tires that arent overly inflated I dont think you are going to see a lot of difference. The carbon seat stays will also soften the ride so the steel advantage wouldnt be much. If you were going to go with a rigid 29er as a race bike I think steel would make sense. There have been a lot of debates on steel versus aluminum. You will always see a couple of guys at races with steel hardtails. Jamis bikes has the Dragon and Gary Fisher has the Ferrous. Steel is used by a lot of custom bike builders and the newer steel frames arent that much heavier than aluminum.

#6 ·
I thought the same thing. Might as well go full suspension if you are riding on trails that are full of baby heads and roots. The really tough XC courses and some of the other stuff pretty much rule out hardtails. A newer Epic would be much more versatile than a hardtail.

#7 ·
My other bike is FS

calboy said:
hey guys,
I need your expertise about what type of frame should I buy. I have a choice of a steel frame (reynolds 853) or an aluminum frame with carbon seat stays. I guess I'm mostly concerned which one would be the most compliant ride. Thanks for your answers in advance.
Calboy
My Kona Explosif hardtail is 853 steel. Frame weighs 4.3 lbs. The ride is noticably smoother than any Aluminum HT I have tried.

A side note: my frame is 8 years old with over 10,000 miles on it. No cracks no rust.

#8 ·
OP's question was: XC Hardtail, Compliant ride - 853 Steel or Alum with Carbon?

My answer: 853 Steel

There was a debate over at roadbikereview about carbon seatstays. If I recall right the consensus was they are more hype than functional with added risk of coming unglued. These observation is from guys who pump their tires to rock-hard 120 psi and with no shocks on either end.

#9 ·
quiet as its kept...

Some people actually prefer hardtails (present company included). I have chosen steel every time because of its noticeably livelier, smoother ride. Its more than just compliant. To me 4in travel and above fs bikes are a little too smooth, and turns many (not all, they are the better choice for some places) trails in to road riding. I just do not see the fun in that. I mean, its not like people didnt ride those same trails before fs was invented, they did. So what if I am slower on a ht in the rough stuff than on a fs?, speed isnt everything. IMHO, nothing is as satisfying as cleaning a nasty, rocky, rooty section or technical climb on a hardtail :thumbsup: . I know I dont want to sit down and just pedal through everything :nono: . Maybe thats why he wants a hardtail, maybe not.
Ok, back to the question, 853 steel or alu ht w/carbon stays?. I obviously would go with steel, but dont get caught up in 853. There are other steels that ride just as nice an better imho. I have had just about every type of high end steel there is and 853 is good stuff, but so is true temper ox platinum, old school tange prestige, Columbus (several nice ones) and even Reynolds 725 and 631 among others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.