Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Superior design vrs. Turner superior everything else?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Jaybo 
#1 ·
I rode a new Trek today. It has that floating design that works incredibly well; dare I say better than my Spot. I was blown away by the design! However, if given a choice I would stubbornly stick with my Turner. Why? I have almost 4 years on my bushings. The bike is bombproof! Your choice? New design or Turner customer services, bushings, finish, and all the other benefits?

Jaybo

#3 · (Edited)
I was seriously looking forward to the new Pivot by C Cocalis. Everyone swoons over the DW link bikes, but they have been licensed by companies that sort of turn my stomach in terms of desperately lacking chi-chi goodness and exhibiting crap quality control, or are steep HA carbon-o-thons. The ones I have ridden so far ranged from "so what?" to "barf." The Pivot left me pretty unimpressed unfortunately, and DW's replies to the Interbike rider's reviews of the Mach line left me thinking that things would not really improve much in the future even with other shocks, etc. Oh well.

On the other hand, I can think of an example of almost every other suspension design that I think rides stupendously. The Giant Maestros are amazing bikes (ironically, there is supposedly a suit between DW and Giant over patent infringement), some of the Titus and Knolly 4-bars are seriously nice, there are a few high/forward single pivots I could easily choke down (like the Heckler), there are some pretty cool VPPs on the market, Niner's CVA systems is super capable, etc etc. In fact, there are more viable bikes out there than dogs in my experience. I have not warmed to the Felt system.

A trip to Interbike is pretty encouraging to anyone who loves bikes.

#4 ·
Four years on a set of bushings? Jaybo, that is great!

Tscheezy, interesting comment on the Giant's, I have been dying to try a Reign to see if I "need" a 6" travel bike. Guess a trip to Northstar is in order :thumbsup: One bike on my very short list is the Lenz Behemoth and Lunchbox, from what I hear Devin really nailed the geo on both bikes.

#5 ·
My vote is for "more of the same". My Turner just feels like Home. I've been tempted to stray several times. I was sure I'd eventually own a dw-link bike. But every year I read about the "new improved mounting hardware" and other refinements and every year is followed by "how do I fix this clunk and that play". Little issues like that make me love sticking with Old Faithful here. Turner is not without problems but the fall-back is awesome customer service to boot. As the years roll by I become more and more set in my ways. My frame has been built up from DH to Trail and back again and while the spec and use changes the overall feeling stays the same - no learning curve, no quirks and no surprises. If I ever were to stray my RFX would hang in the garage because I know at some point I'll go back to my trusty steed again.

#7 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
I really dig my hard tail. I haven't had to replace any links - ever - although the rear suspension could use a Push-tune.
agreed....and i have found hardtails to have minimal bob compared to most suspension designs

#9 ·
It was a 2007 Fuel EX 8

Mr Pink said:
What model was the Trek?one of my bikes is a trek 9.0 07model and after 10 months its still working as good as new.I will be getting a new spot or a rfx for a more solid ride as the trek is about 26 pounds,not bad for a bike with 140mm forks!
The floating desing is amazing! The cushiest bike I have ever ridden.

Turner can't hang with Trek's amazing R&D department; however, I still love the 'solid' feeling of a Turner even if the design is not as good.

Jaybo

#10 ·
That's funny.

Jaybo said:
I rode a new Trek today. It has that floating design that works incredibly well; dare I say better than my Spot. I was blown away by the design! However, if given a choice I would stubbornly stick with my Turner. Why? I have almost 4 years on my bushings. The bike is bombproof! Your choice? New design or Turner customer services, bushings, finish, and all the other benefits?

Jaybo
I just got back from a ride w/ a guy w/ the new Fuel. You're right; it rides VERY well. Super plush but I couldn't see it bobbing at all when he was hammering it on a fire road. I was very impressed. I'd still take my Turner for the reasons you mentioned though; the difference wasn't night and day,

Dave

#11 ·
FYI...to those who errantly believe the new Trek design does something to counter pedal induced suspension feedback....it doesn't. Simply acts to decouple braking induced influence on the suspension. I didn't personally notice any great ride myself....it is the best looking Trek thus far, however.

To the OP: What was it about the design that "blew you away"?

#12 ·
Ride, CS, bushings, CS, coolness, CS, blub blub blub. I'll stick around. BUT, I'll be looking forward to DT's next great leap. No inside info here, but I suspect that some changes might show up in the 2010 models' sus system.

Here's hoping that when that happens, he hangs on to the simple, clean lines, easily removed and interchanged shocks, etc! :thumbsup:

Caveat: Regardless of all the kinda new rear sus ideas floating around out there, the next significant leap could still come from shock technology. Sure would beat some of the current messy-looking 17-link systems out there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.