Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Best Dh tubeless tires

1K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Uncle Cliffy 
#1 ·
I'm currently runing hutchinson barracuda tubeless on my dh bike as they came stock with my bike (which finally convinced me to go tubeless) and I'm thinking If there are any possible upgrades? Want something that's durable so it doesn't have to be the lightest (although I'm light friendly). It would be good to hear ideas both about mud and dry stuff tire.

Btw. I will be putting some no flat or similar stuff in them and I weight around 135

#4 ·
smilycook said:
I have been running these ust tires for a while now. I noticed they have done something different with the bead to hook it onto the rim. They hook up well and stay on the rims.
I second that... I run a Highroller in the rear a lot as well. Highroller does seem to roll faster. :D Another good tire for UST is Michelin Comp 16's. They're thinner than the Comp 32's described above and work really well in rock gardens and loose/duffy conditions. Plus Michelin makes a UST mud tire that I haven't seen any company equal. (I have one, but don't remember what model it is.)

#17 ·
Used the combination of minion front and roller in the back for 2 seasons and it was quite good so maybe this but I'm curious about the michelins as they are on the 08 model and a lot people told me good things about their tires. But at least I see there are only 2 things to chose from.

#19 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
Michelin anything... 32 in the front, cut 24 in the back if I had to choose. Oh yeah, don't forget to run the 24 (or a 16 for that matter) opposite of the direction arrow too.
Is this true for front and rear? Should they both be facing opposite from what the arrows indicate?
BTW, I really dont like my DH24 AT in the front...might just be my experience with them, but they lack the cornering my old Minions provided. Regardless, I'm going with a WTB Dissent up front for my next tire :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Really?

njhcx4xlife said:
Michelin anything... 32 in the front, cut 24 in the back if I had to choose. Oh yeah, don't forget to run the 24 (or a 16 for that matter) opposite of the direction arrow too.
njhcx4xlife,

Really? Why do you do that? Have you tried mounting it/riding it both ways?

Steve

#21 ·
steve47co1 said:
njhcx4xlife,

Really? Why do you do that? Have you tried mounting it/riding it both ways?

Steve
Some Michelin tires have the arrow facing the wrong direction on accident. They didn't fix it because the cast is very expensive. I know for sure the Comp 16's are backwards. It makes sense if you look at the tread design closely...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.