Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First bike

658 views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  pade 
#1 ·
so i have 800$, and was planning on getting the '06 Iron Horse Yakuza Chimpira, but wen i told my dad it has no suspension in the back, he thinks i should get a full susser. out of all the local bike shops, the only thing that i could really get and really catches my eye is the Haro Extreme X6. My lbs has it for 1359.00 CAD. the Iron Horse i want is 600CAD. wat should i do? wat would you guys recommend. and the only reason i am getting the Chimpira as my first mtb is cuz the parts are decent enough for me.

#4 ·
I'm 40 and I'm going to buy 2 Haro X 7s. One 16 and one 18"

PM me I know where to get a brand new never ridden Haro X 7 for 900.00.

I ride a Rocky Mountain Switch and have had 50# Stinkys, Stabs, BigHit, RM Flow, and the Haros rail better, fly just as stable, jump better and cost 1/3-1/4 of the above bikes.

#6 ·
The other option (not as fun ) is to get a decent frame and build it up as you're able. You could get a hardtail to ride then build a FS bike with the parts from the hardtail. Buying used is about the only way you're going to find a decent FS bike, just be sure to research whatever you end up getting and check the frame very carefully for cracks. Pay special attention to the headtube area and the lower swingarm near the bottom bracket since these tend to be common areas for cracks to form. Make sure to check the swingarm on the inside, you'll probably have to take the rear wheel out to get a good look.

#7 ·
The x6 sucks. It's not built for DH, it's built for Light FR and mainly AM. I have one, I know.

Get the Chimpira. Hardtails build skill, and will help you when you decide, if you do, to get a full suspension.
Who knows, you might find the sport boring after a while (like me) and decide to quit.

#8 ·
I agree with all the hardtail advice. I started riding on hardtails in 2001. I used hardtails for everything from lift serviced downhill at Attitash (NH) and Mount Snow (VT), to trail riding, to drops of about 6'+. I ride with guys who have been riding fs for a long time and I taught myself to ride smooth and be able to pick the best lines so that I could keep up with them. Two months ago I bought a Kona Coiler frame and built it up, and now my riding buddies have got to work extra hard to keep up with me. :thumbsup:

#9 ·
you can probably find a used stinky or bighit with that budget.

Heres the way I see it: i'm poor as **** and I ride a hardtail for DH because I can't afford a full susser. I like to go fast, so i constantly focus on going fast. On my hardtail, I'm faster than the people I ride with (and most randoms i've ridden with) because I've learned to pick my lines very carefully. When i've ridden full suspension, i'm alot faster. Theres no doubt i'm way faster now because i've learned to ride HT fast.

But, if I could do it all over and have the money for a full susser from the start and just ride alot slower now, i'd snatch it up in a second, I just have alot more fun on full suspension than I do with HT.

If you want to be as fast as anybody on the mountain, and faster than most, get a hardtail for now. If you just like getting out and riding and having a good time, get a full susser.

#14 ·
my dad doesnt ride bikes, but every bike i have ever gotten, except for my last one which was a bmx, has been full suspension, like supercycles. i want to just go straight to a ardtail, but he says that in 2 years if i want a new bike or frame, i wont be allowed to get it.

#19 ·
newagebiker said:
i told him,a dn he believe's you, but he wants to buy local, just for the fact of services, tune ups, and all that kinda stuff. man i think i'm gunna go to my lbs tomorrow.
Cool, good luck and show us what you buy. IMO you should learn to do all the tune up/fixing yourself. Lbs look at that as $$$$ and you'd be better off buying some tools of your own and do'in it yer self. That way you dont have parts fly off and wonder whats going on.

I'll post some picks tommorrow for you guys dont get in a hurry and buy tommorrow.

#20 ·
newagebiker said:
my dad doesnt ride bikes, but every bike i have ever gotten, except for my last one which was a bmx, has been full suspension, like supercycles. i want to just go straight to a ardtail, but he says that in 2 years if i want a new bike or frame, i wont be allowed to get it.
That's completely stupid. It's your money, he shouldn't have control over it :skep:

Supercycles and Wal Mart Bikes are completely different.. It's like buying a CR80 and saying it's a 450, it's not, and it never will be.

Supercycles have to be FS, they take huge hits, and the bikes weigh way too much to only have front suspension. You should make some points to your dad about how it's stupid to classify all types of 2 wheeled vehicles in the same area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.