Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CCP results?

806 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  velosapiens 
#1 ·
anybody know who won (SS of course)?

#2 ·
lots of single speeds in the puff

The weather was perfect and the flowers were blooming. Aaron from norcal was 4th over all and 1st ss,he was in 2nd for a while but got a couple of flats. Stella was 1st again. There were so many single speeds,it was great, I am a perpetual spectator so I was able to take it all in, It was super cool to see a bunch of custom frames at a tough race. There were two Vultures racing, Richard and Shawn, I think Richard may have been 5th or so and Shawn finished under 12hrs Im totally proud of them both. Saw Craig from misoula on his ramblumtick(hope I spelled that right) and he was shredding well also. Always fun, I suggest going to the puff to race or just sit around, drink beer and watch the race.
cheers, wade

#3 ·
What a race

I went out looking for a fun ride this year and just wanting to ride my bike and enjoy the event without really feeling like I was racing or suffering to finish. I guess that is the benifit I have from riding so much and having a huge fitness base. I had just decided to do the event on Monday and that was based on the primary goal of having allot of fun.

Aaron Kerelak (just happens to be Stella's boyfreind) did win the SS and was 4th overall, we road together for a while and he was a climbing fool this year. I enjoyed seeing him win as he put allot of effort into the race, including an attack on the first lap that forced Tonkin, Knapp and myself to step up and bring back.

On the last lap I was hoping he would hold out and keep up the pace. Pat Doyle came up to me at aid #2 and looked strong and took 2nd in the SS. I had allot of fun riding with everyone, enjoyed the volunteers and ended up 3rd SS and 8th overall.

All in all 35ish SS's started the race including a few women. Not sure how many finished but I can tell you had had our highest finishing rate ever at around 80%.

The course was the fastest it has ever been, as to Erik Tonkin doing it in 8:58 a record time for this version of the loop. The trail was buff, held up well and stayed fast throughou the day, temps were cool (mid 80's was the high) and the wind stayed steady to keep people cool.

I am sure there will be pictures and stories flowing in throughout the week and I can't wait to hear them.

#4 · (Edited)
I cheated

ketchd said:
anybody know who won (SS of course)?
The last time I raced the Cream Puff ('02) I did it on my Vulture SS. But having done no training this year (my longest ride was a meager 53 miles back in mid-May), I opted to ride my 7-speed Sugar in '04.

Well anyway, yesterday I claimed my third and final (I swear) CCP100 finisher's cap. Enough is enough. (Nevermind that these are the exact same words I uttered two years ago after finishing.)

What a great race. Thanks to promoter shiggy as well as to all the generous & supportive volunteers and friendly & inspiring racers who make it such a treat to be involved in this event.

--Sparty

#5 ·
The weather was just about perfect.

The one thing that made me really jealous of this years racers was the weather (last year it was over 20 degrees hotter in the afternoon). And the night before the race was actually cool this year, last year I sweated all night (maybe I'd have finished if I hadn't started out dehydrated??) I think the weather contributed to that course record.

I hung out at Aid 1 most of the day, I helped Don setup in the morning then went out for a short loop (Aid 1 to Aid 2 then down the trail) and put out a wildlife bounty on the trail.

I left Aid 1 about 30 minutes before Shiggy expected the leaders to come through. The leaders (3 in a pack) caught up to me around MP4 on the climb and went cruising by like a freight train... then a few riders later the General came up behind me (in 5th place) and made some lurid comment then went cruising on by..

And when I got to Aid 2 the crowd Cheered! and the volunteers tried to give me supplies (and I wasn't even racing)..

Bert Ojerio finished in a pair of boxer shorts with hearts on them (and nothing else).

For the first time ever a Tandem finished the Puff! (15:15), and they had probably a hours worth of mechanicals including a broken pedal (about 15 minutes out of Aid 3 so they had to backtrack) and 2 flat tires on a single lap. The stoker got the DLBF hat.

Also finishing was a rider on a rigid cyclocross bike.

The women's overall was a close race, the second place finisher went from 8 minutes behind Stella on lap 1 to 3 minutes at the finish. Stella is now a 3x womens winner, 2002 - geared, 2003 and 2004 were SS.

#6 ·
Jolly Good Show, Gen'l

tho how you can just "decide" to do a SS 100 mile mtb race a few days before and finish a "fun" ride in the top 5, I'll never know. :D

wish I cuda been there (again)

bob

#10 ·
the last year (of 5 i think) that i did the puff, i 1-sped it, on almost no training. easier and faster than multi-gearing on it on absolutely no training like the previous year.

one thing i noticed is that it really is much easier to ride fast than slow. it's kinda unfair to out of shape folks to make their race so much more painful. the first couple years when i was in the top 5-7 overall, it was MUCH easier than the year i took 13.5 hrs. that was freakin' hell on earth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.