Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What DH/FR fork would be the better choice?

943 views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  todd_freeride 
#1 ·
hey, im currently using the 03monster triple, its a little outa date and pretty heavy compared to most forks now days, i was wondering weather i should swap it out for a dorado maybe? what are the adjustments on them like? do they have a very wide range? the monster just seems to not have a very wide range of adjustments, althought it is very plush and smooth i just would like a bit stiffer but yet still plush fork for dh and fr, also iv been looking at the boxxer wc or boxxer team, if i were going to be gettign a boxxer it would be a 06 or 07. so should i stay with my monster? or trade it for a 05 dorado dh, or save up for a 06/07 boxxer wc or boxxer team? any info on these forks would be great.

thanks,
Josh

#2 ·
depends on what you want too use it for. the dorado manitou's were maintenence hogs. they feel amazing when running, but it takes a bit more effort too keep them running. I have a shiver DC so I'm kind of in the same boat. the weight savings are huge. my bike feels awesome since I switched temporarily to a backup fork. the monster T were pretty heavier, even heavier than my shiver. the shiver is just a lot more plush than the monster, same adjustments though. look into a boxxer, they're nice, light and will be a night and day difference than your monster.

#3 ·
Also depends on how big you are. I have a 06 Boxxer Team with the stiffest spring and I still bottom it out on bigger stuff (more than lets say 4 feet at higher speeds).

Now I have a 1" socket in it, so I have 7" travel, but its stiff enough. I weight 215lbs, 225 with all my gear on.

I'm buying a Kowa in a week or so. http://www.covicracing.com/ They import for Kowa in the Boulder/Denver area.

#7 ·
You are replacing a Monster T just because its heavy? (and outdated, yeah right)

I say No. Replace it when it decides to self destruct! (well, not when you are riding)

#10 ·
Waiting for one of those to self destruct, you will be waiting a long time... there is no excuse to ride a 10lb fork nowdays anyway, unless you're Bender, and that's only to keep the front end of your bike down/level/somewhat raised/I'm bailing! I say, save the moto cartriges for the moto bikes.

#13 ·
KennyO said:
Waiting for one of those to self destruct, you will be waiting a long time... there is no excuse to ride a 10lb fork nowdays anyway, unless you're Bender, and that's only to keep the front end of your bike down/level/somewhat raised/I'm bailing! I say, save the moto cartriges for the moto bikes.
Bender doesn't need a 10lb fork. hell he doesn't even need a fork. he doesn't land on his bike anyways :rolleyes: jk.

monster's are awesome forks, just outdated. i'd save your money and either get a boxxer team, or a 888, i would say 888 because it would be a familiar dampening system feel, and also they kick ass. no two ways around that one. :thumbsup:

#16 ·
theoxymoron said:
my new brodie has a 888 rc2 and its sooo nice. i think there is a lube issue because when its in its first inch or so of tavel it tends to stick. anyone else have that?
back in the day I ended up locking out an 888RC, I pushed down on it and it dropped to like 45mm of travel. The guys at marzocchi couldent figure out what happened. they just gave me a new fork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.