Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Yet another Bontrager fork thread / question

2K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  laffeaux 
#1 ·
Okay so I finally aquired a Bontrager CX frame and am now seeking the proper fork for it. The gentleman I got it from said it originally came with a Steelman fork, which I assume was the straight blade fork, and the info on ridesmarterdotcom said the rake on the stock fork was 32mm. That sounds like an odd number to me but what do I know. I'm not sure on the year of the frame and I know the serial numbers don't normally tell much on Bontragers but the serial number on this is #4901. Since a new Steelman fork is running $350 (ouch) I'm going to keep my eyes open for something used but still of decent quality, and threadless of course. I'd like to find something that doesn't fuss with the feel or the handling of the frame. Does anyone out there have any experience or recommendations on this? Does that rake sound right? :confused:

#2 ·
I don't know the fork/frame in specific but that rake sounds off, too small. I'm aware of some bikes, smaller frames with a 38mm. rake but these were smaller frames (larger frames tended to have larger rakes). Maybe bontrager/steelman were doing something unusual or had a specific need in mind, but 32 sounds off to me.

Pinguwin

#3 ·
I have the Bonty CX with the Steelman fork option. These were available on the later CX production frames. If yours is earlier, it would have come with the Bontrager fork. Some of the later ones came with the Bontrager fork as well (which is pictured in the Bontrager catalogs).

My impression of the Steelman fork on the Bonrtager is that it makes for a very stable bike, that does not have overly quick handling. The bike is a great for bombing down hills as the front end holds a line very well. If you're after a bike that handles a little quicker and has more of a road bike feel, you may want to opt for a fork with slightly more rake. I like the way the CX rides alot, but it's definitely better at bombing down hills than darting in and out trees.

Here's a pic of my bike with the fork in question.

#4 ·
Also, I've not measured the rake on my fork, but both the ridesmarter web site and the Bontrager catalogs list the rake a 32mm for the medium and large frames and 38mm for the small.

#5 ·
laffeaux said:
Also, I've not measured the rake on my fork, but both the ridesmarter web site and the Bontrager catalogs list the rake a 32mm for the medium and large frames and 38mm for the small.
If it wouldn't be asking too much would you mind measuring the rake on your bike? I admit I've never done that before nor do I really know the right way to. My frame is the same color / decal scheme as yours but w/o the "B-dot made in SC" decal on the seat tube (either removed or pre-96?) and it's a medium. The rake of 32mm just seems really short.

#7 ·
I don't know but want to learn...is the rake measured by extending the "centerline" of the steer tube down to the dropouts and then measured from that "centerline" out to the center of the dropouts?

#10 ·
looks pretty short to me

here's a stolen (apologies) interweb picture of someone elses CX, the fork looks to have pretty minimal rake.

sadly no pics of my small Bont CX...my most regretted sale, even if it was too damn long for me.

Attachments

#11 ·
jack lantern said:
If it wouldn't be asking too much would you mind measuring the rake on your bike?
The only way I know how to do it with any acuracy is by removing the fork from the frame. I can measure it next time I have it apart for some reason. Are you in a hurry to get a fork made?

The e-mail on the RideSmarter web site still goes to KB. You can e-mail him directly and confirm it. It's likely better than my measurement.

#19 ·
Pix...

Finally had time to snap a few pix of the CX today, it's in really good shape. The hunt for a fork has opened my eyes somewhat. IF quoted me $410 for their fork (shouldn't be too surprised I guess) while others were in the high 2's. Waltworks looks like the best deal at $250 painted, although I guess I'm just a bit amazed how expensive these rigid, disc tab-less, steel beauties are. I've never really priced 'em before and am a little disheartened over paying more for a rigid steel fork than I paid for the frame. Oh well, it'll be nice once it's done.

Attachments

#20 ·
Great looking frame!

My only complaint against the Bontrager CX is the lack of rear tire clearance. It would be nice to run larger tires on it, but the chainstays limit the options. Otherwise, they're good fun.

Hopefully you're able to find a fork for it.

#24 ·
laffeaux said:
A 32mm tire fits fine. I've tired a 38mm tire and it will not work. Some 35mm tires might be okay as long as your wheel was completely true.
P.S. The frame was intended for racing, so a 28 or 32 mm tire was what was intended. For racing those are great. However, for general trail riding, I prefer a wider tire on my CX bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.