Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

In the market for a new mountain bike. . .

666 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  xenon 
#1 ·
I'm not a hardcore, jumping off cliffs, riding during monsoons, etc. rider. I like riding offroad on beaten paths, and occasionally on pavement. I'm looking for a sturdy, lightweight, comfortable ride - and preferably a blacked out frame/wheels/etc.

I've looked at several bike stores in my area, but the one that caught my eye was one at Joes (formerly G.I. Joes). I'm not sure what brand it was, but it had WARRIOR written in large print on the frame, so I'm assuming it's an Iron Horse. Any input on this particular brand/bike?

And lastly, what are some important thing to look for in a mountain bike? Especially as far as sturdy structure and sturdy parts is concerned? Thanks in advance for any input :skep:

#2 ·
Couple of tips:
Before buying a bike, try out as many, as possible. This way you will feel, what is convenient for you and what is not. Don't just take the salesman's word, that it is your size. Different brands may have different geometry, even on same size bikes.
Shimano hubs are an advantage, particularly the rear one. They are easy to get spare parts for. Otherwise, if you can't come across, say, a coaster, or an axle, you will have to replace or rebuild(at same cost, as replacing, actually) the whole wheel in case the part is broken.
Often, with some negotiation skills, you may get a spare derailleur hanger upon purchasing the bike - discounted or even for free. You will need to carry one with you on rides.
If the bike comes stock with plastic pedals, upgrade them to something better right at the sell point. Plastic won't last long. If you replace them at sell point, you are supposed to get rebate.
If sturdy parts are important, pay attention to the rims' width. The wider, the better in principle(provided, weight is not an issue).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.