Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whistler in October??

610 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  miklorsmith 
#1 ·
A few of us have a trip to whistler scheduled for aug 11 through august 18. My brother planned on going but snapped his collar bone in three pieces last weekend and won't be ready for these dates. He can possibly go the first week of October - probably the last week that Whistler is open for bikes. I'd like to work with him on this and reschedule but I'm considering the trade offs:

We'll lose a few hours of riding each day since the park will only be operating from 10am to 5pm in October.

I'm thinking the weather might work against us in October but I'm not sure what to expect. I've never ridden Whistler before so I don't know how it is in the rain.

I'm also thinking the trails may be a bit degraded by then and upkeep may not be of high importance with ski season right around the corner.

If anyone can think of any pros/cons of going in October vs. August, I would appreciate it. We'll be making up our minds in the next week.

#2 ·
We went there the October before last, 2005. It was great. We were able to get an outstanding room rate right in the village, and were even able to bring the dogs along.

The lines are shorter in October, lots of people (and kids) are back in school. June and August are peak vacation months, right when school lets out, and before school begins.
You might not be able to get as much time in, but the amount of runs you'll be able to do will be about the same, because the lines are considerably shorter.

We were there for a week and only had two days when there was only light rain, for a few hours, which made the runs that much more tacky. Also the fall temperatures were awesome. Can't guarantee your October will be as dry as ours, but keep in mind it rains in August too.

Trail degradation, and upkeep wasn't an issue, all trails, that I can remember, were open, all stunts and Mountain cross coarse were still up, and "A line" was in killer condition.

#4 ·
You typically won't have to worry about rain until the third week in October. The weather in the Pacific NW is actually very predictable with nearly every day of the summer as nice and sunny until the latter half of October when the rain season starts. It's not like the Midwest nor East Coast and we RARELY get rain in August so not sure what Tim F was talkin bout. Your chances of a nice week are well over 80% for early October. Also if you wear a lot of protective gear that can be a benefit since the temps are cooler that time of year. I'll be there next week for Crankworx and I'd rather be there in October.

Have FUN!

G MAN

#5 ·
Tim F. said:
We went there the October before last, 2005. It was great. We were able to get an outstanding room rate right in the village, and were even able to bring the dogs along.
Hey please share where you stayed! I was there for the last two weeks of the season last year, and stayed up the hill a bit from the Village (in a pet freindly suite). I would have loved to do a ride in / ride out thing from the Village (especially with my dog) so do share;) I couldnt find anything pet friendly there.

Temps when I was there were unusually high (so I was told) as it was bright sun and high 70's (with only one or two days of drizzle), but mornigns/evenings up on top were darn cold (especially going up the lift)! I hope to go back at the same time this year.

#7 ·
Tim F. said:
Can't guarantee your October will be as dry as ours, but keep in mind it rains in August too.
What are you talking about? Ive been in Whistler for the last 5 years and haven't seen 1 single rainy day in August. In fact the trails are usually in pretty bad shape because of the lack of moisture....it NEVER rain in August...

October if its dry is so good...everything if buff and super tacky...

#8 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
i will be there Aug 8th through the 12......might even think of going in October too when I will be in Oregon
I'll let you know when we're going. It would be cool to meet up with someone who has some knowledge of the mountain. I'll be going with two other guys from PA and all of our DH/FR is limited to Diablo and Plattekill.

#10 ·
I've ridden the park in the pouring rain. The trailbase is mostly crushed rock so traction isn't a concern. The woodwork even stays sticky, they must use cedar.

Of course, riding in the rain isn't as fun but unless you get a freak storm you'll be able to power through.

As to the hours of operation, I was up there this last Sunday. We rode 4 hours and got pretty tired. We didn't get onto the mountain until 2:00. Look at the bright side, the Oct. schedule will get yer butt outa bed and you'll have the afternoon to hang at the Longhorn quaffing buckets 'o Corona.

I will be up for a week in August for a bachelor party. This thread is motivating me to motivate my buddies to get one more long w/e planned in Oct.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.