Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Warning, these BB stink!

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jeff F 
#1 ·
I've had two of these break this week. Both XC bikes, Both less than 6 months old, no abuse, I weigh 190 to 195, no drops, no jumps, etc. Maybe defective? maybe bad steel? Bad quality control or just plain inferior? Instead of the other big Japanese brand I tried something different. I learned a lesson as well as having a LOOOOOOONG hike back to the truck.
Rant over.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow! That sucks, kinda unusual place to break, I've seen some break right at the taper with the crank arm fixing bolt threaded in but not that far back into the shell.
Go Isis, integrated BB or anything but those guys next time.
Are they under warranty? If only 6 mo old?

#5 ·
I rest my case-Truvativ sucks! I've had bad experience with them also; not anything as bad as your experience, but I've blown BBs and wrecked too many spindles for them to be just duds. My advice: Go with external bb, or isis, but I think isis sucks too, and go Shimano or Raceface or FSA or pretty much anything but Truvativ.

I'm really disappointed cuz I love SRAM, Avid, and Rockshox, but I won't use Truvativ unless I wan't a 50$ crank for a pump track bike (I hope I'll get such a bike soon).

Tim

#6 ·
Call Truvative Customer service and they'll probably hook you up. I had an issue with some Husse cranks where the thread insert came out with the pedal. Called them up and they sent not only new cranks but also switched out the ISIS BB with the new outside bearing BB. I thought that was pretty cool.

#12 ·
I'd call them and see if they can help you. Maybe it is a bad design/cheap but if they care about customer service, they'll listen to you, especially since you broke two so close together.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Truvativ. The original BB that came on my KHS is STILL going strong after 4 years of truly brutal abuse. Can't say that it is the same one you broke, but it also isn't a high-end one.

#13 ·
deadsailor said:
C-29 what do you think, I have access to QBP's website for dealers., posted that little copy/paste.....hmmmmm.....Gee I don't know . :)
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please don't explain.

The point remains. That is a 7 dollar bottom bracket all day long. Cheap today and everyday. Cheap and junk. What a concept huh?

What does one expect?

*SNAPPER*

That is what I expect, and that is what should be expected.

#15 ·
singlespeedsycip said:
Switch out to a nice old set of shimano xtr 952 cranks and bb (old school). They are bomb proof, even running them on my single speed.....
You can find a used set somewhat cheap on ebay...
Thanks for all the comments, actually I knew they were POS when I tried them and just was surprised they broke so quickly and easily, thus the rant and warning.......

I agree the old xtr 952 are bullet proof, thx for the suggestion.

I have Saints on one bike, Crank Brothers with isis cobalt on the 29er, and actually had one of those Truvativs on a beach cruiser (electra straight 8 with shimano xt's)....(kinda a XC bike) and that broke going to starbucks......
Thanks again!:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.